Looking for Recommendation

AbeN468

Hello everyone,

I'm kind of new here, but I was hoping I could find some help. From browsing the boards it seems that most of the people here are very serious about their gear and are often using it professionally, but I was hoping to get advice on a more day to day use headphone for a moderate user.

I'm basically looking for a headphone under $200 that is comfortable, light (doesn't apply too much pressure and doesn't feel heavy on the neck), and easy to wear for extended periods of time. Most of the headphones I've used also tend to make my ears warm up, so a headphone that is kind of cool would be better. I prefer circumaural headphones, but I'm not sure if I have a preference for open or closed. Probably closed, but I don't think it would be a big deal to me. And of course I want something with good sound quality, but I'm mostly using these on my computer for things like voice comm, games, music, and videos, which I understand don't always need the absolute best quality. I think comfort is one of my main concerns because I tend to have these on a lot and my neck/shoulders can really tighten up when they're too heavy or what not. If any extra information is needed let me know!

Thanks for any help/recommendations and I hope it's ok to make a topic like this in this forums,

-Abe

:dance: <- I like that smilie

Sony MDR-V6/-7506 -- a little bright, but nice bass. ~<US$100

Also meets most all of your other criteria -- not sure how your head is shaped -- specifically, your ears -- but this is circumaural on about 50% of the human race. See if you can find a pair to try on, for instance at a local Guitar Center.

Relatively light. Can be made extra comfortable with the "Beyer pad mod".

Do you plan on basically choosing the best you can for your needs and being done with it, or are you approaching getting these headphones as a beginning, or, in other words, are you planning on getting an amp, upgrading your source, etc. down the line? If it's the first, I think Dusty's recommendation is good; if it's the latter, Rek's would be my choice for you as well.

Thanks for all the quick responses. At this time I don't plan on getting an amp or upgrading. I'm hoping to just get what's best for my needs and be done with it as you say. Thanks for also mentioning that I could try them out at Guitar Center because I just realized I didn't know of any stores that might physically carry these so that I might try them out. I'll check out those 2 you guys recommended so far.

Edit: Oh and for the size of my head (lol), a friend had the Bose QuietComfort (forget which version) headphones and I thought those were pretty comfortable. They're also relatively small and very light, but I think they were a little expensive, the sound quality didn't seem that great, and they broke pretty easily. He had part of the band taped up.

The HD600 might sound a bit boring to you when unamped, especially when used for games and movies. I would look into a Beyerdynamic DT770/80 Pro, or maybe the 32ohm version of the '05 model. I believe either of these can be found for <$200, and I know for a fact the Pro sounds great with games. They are circumnaural closed phones.

Actually the absolute best can I have found for games is a properly amped Grado GS1000, but $1000 for a gaming phone is a little extreme. ;D

The HD600 might sound a bit boring to you when unamped, especially when used for games and movies. I would look into a Beyerdynamic DT770/80 Pro, or maybe the 32ohm version of the '05 model. I believe either of these can be found for <$200, and I know for a fact the Pro sounds great with games. They are circumnaural closed phones.

Actually the absolute best can I have found for games is a properly amped Grado GS1000, but $1000 for a gaming phone is a little extreme. ;D

Ugh the DT770 is pure shit man :'(

e: I only say this because he did mention music (along with movies and games)...

No he can't (see "comfortable" requirement).

Comfort is a subjective thing, almost as subjective as sound quality. I personally find Grados very comfortable, even more comfortable than senns. However I do have a large head, so the clamping force is more of an issue, whereas the pads are just fine resting against my ears with the Grados

Thanks again for all the responses. Ya, comfort is kind of my #1 priority right now because I'm having a lot of neck/shoulder issues and it would also be nice if they didn't heat my ears up too much. Both the Sennheiser and Sony models looked good when I was looking up the details on this gallery site. Although the Sony was a bit cheaper. I do have a preference for circumaural and I think most of the grados are supraaural, but I'm taking note of all the recommendations and when I head over to Guitar Center this weekend I'll check them out if they have them. I was worried this post wouldn't be received well since I'm new, but I really appreciate all the constructive reviews.

-Abe

Comfort is a subjective thing...
Yeah, but he also said circumaural.
...it would also be nice if they didn't heat my ears up too much...
Well, actually, that's almost mutually exclusive with circumaural, so you may indeed want to look at Grados, as they will not heat up your ears too much. Most of my circumaurals are closed, and therefore they do get really warm if it is anything above 69 degrees Fahrenheit.
Abe, I think you'll find if you just ask a clear and complete question folks around here will be very helpful.
Or perhaps offer drugs (Midol) or alcohol first. Or perhaps just bribes in general. Or maybe just promise (falsely) a lot of asskissing. There are many ways to our good sides.