Preamps!

tom_hankins

Slightly -- I think Stereophile rated the A3^CR as somewhere between Class A and Class B (their rankings), and the A3.2 was solidly Class A. I think the sentence I remember (from the Recommended Components?) was something like "the a3.2 fixed that which the A3^CR didn't quite get right". I think they still recommended an outboard phono preamp in either case -- that qualification stood, but the line-level preamp functionality was considered (a3.2) reference quality, and (a3^cr) almost reference quality.

Thin? Struggling? I guess. When I heard it on my system (went from a Jolida JD102b tubed integrated to A3^CR solid-state separate pre and power), it was more like overkill -- trying to shove more water into a tube than it was capable of (speakers were Spendor S3/5's). The only struggling I heard was the speaker not to explode.

Thin for sure. Struggling as in I noticed I had a stereo going on alot more than previously. Nothing flowed with ease. It was having a hard time making music happen easily. Before the MF, and since it left, I would kick back and watch and listen to the music not the stereo. With the MF I always new the gear was working. This in comparison to what was in the chain before and after it. The system was not bad. But it never let me forget it was there.

it did not stop me from listening everyday ;)

But that was the main thing I noticed with it in there.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Face facts deepak, you're fast approaching the need for a balanced source. Welcome to a world of pain my friend.

I'm not planning on it, the SET amps are single ended. My preamp is definitely going to be SE.

And I don't care about headphones any more.

"Yes but where would be the fun in that. More than half the parts would not be needed."

The way I understood KG's post was that the amp wouldn't need half the parts to be built. Not in the sense that half the preamp wouldn't be used (but a full build would still be required).

Which is why I replied in a half joking manner :)

Says the guy w/ ~$6k of headphones in his sig. Shit, I wish I could not care about stuff like you don't care about stuff. :)

"Don't care about headphones" when compared to a really nice speaker rig :P

The North Star is too good to consider swapping out, I'd have to compare it with something side by side and it would have to be a lot better.

*cough*Capitole*cough*

It's a CDP not a DAC though. If I had a chance to demo a Prima DAC SE from a dealer I would jump on the opportunity. Though my friend with the Duos has had the Capitole in his system (specifically saying it was too soft) and he wasn't too impressed and in the end went with the Naim. So I question if it's the giant killer that people make it out to be.

Ohh I see. How about the chord dac? I've only heard good things about it. Elephas said that he prefers the chord dac over the accuphase dp-500.

Again I'd have to hear it first in my system, before I drop however much they cost now that Stereoshill reviewed them :)

To be honest the Wavelength Audio stuff is most likely what I'd try and go out of my way to hear in my system before anything else. Just because I believe that USB can be better than toslink/coax. But that brings the whole issue of requiring a computer to be in the same room as my speaker system.

well, i like my Capitole MK II a lot more than i like that North Star. i don't care for Naim cd players (it's the opposite of Meridian, in my opinion, though still just as incomplete), but i've only heard the 5X and the S3.

Just relaying what I heard from someone I trust. The North Star sounded dynamite in his system, but his modded Aries3 still walked all over it.

yeah, i bet a modded Aries is great. it all comes down to system synergy, of course. my system has a solid state muscle amp and speakers that can be slightly tipped up in the treble on some systems, so the tube output, which is just every so slightly forgiving, balances it out.

Yup I agree with system synergy at this level of performance.

1/4" is typically viewed as pro grade and 1/8" as consumer.

You should ask this guy (must be a member of AudioKarma.org to see ron-c's profile) -- he's a McIntosh rep.

Though, knowing them, I suspect the reason goes something like this:

Most headphones these days have a 1/8" termination with a 1/4" adapter, so it minimizes the number of connections on most phones.

i understand that but dont most "audiophile" headphones have 1/4" connectors? I dont think the average Mcintosh user uses ibuds. or do they?

and I definitely dont care enough about this to register at audiokarma and PM the guy ;) I just think its wierd

i understand that but dont most "audiophile" headphones have 1/4" connectors? I dont think the average Mcintosh user uses ibuds. or do they?

Perhaps we would be surprised... I imagine that the Macintosh development team would have done a bit of research into the matter before moving forward.... there is also the notion that headphones are inferior to speakers and are only used when absolutely necessary and thusly nothing of quality is owned by many of the "speaker" guys.

i understand that but dont most "audiophile" headphones have 1/4" connectors?
Uh...no.

And I wasn't suggesting you register at AudioKarma.org and PM the guy, I was suggesting you register at AudioKarma.org and start a thread in their McIntosh section -- it's fairly active. And I doubt you're the only person who wants to know.

I actually need to log in there some time soon and put a pair of speakers up for sale over there, perhaps I'll PM the guy and point him to this thread. Or I could start a thread there, and put a link to it here. I'll probably do both, so that he can answer over there, and be aware that there are some lurkers to the thread over here.

And I disagree with the assessment that 1/4" is associated with pro -- most headphone amps I've ever seen have 1/4" jacks...up until recently, what with the portable market and so on. And that includes the ones built in to my entry level CD players. But I completely agree with this:

...I imagine that the Macintosh development team would have done a bit of research into the matter before moving forward...
They really are like that.

L, for all I know, that information is already out there on ak.org.

oh shit, completely forgot about electostatics and k1000s and balanced headphones
No, I wasn't thinking about those -- those are the exceptions.
ok but most "audiophile" dynamic headphones have 1/4" connectors right? Senn 600s or 650s or most of the grados or AKG k701 or something like that
Nope -- default cables for 600's are 1/8" w/ 1/4" adapter, I think Grados are 1/4", don't know about AKG's; Beyers are 1/8" w/ 1/4" adapters; Sony CD3000's and MDR-7506/-V6's are all 1/8" w/ 1/4" adapters.

The only ones I know of that are 1/4" are: Grados (the one I have, and the ones I remember, anyway); Audio-Technica Japan (except for at least the A100Ti, which is 1/8" w/ 1/4" adapter); and Sony R10's.

No, I wasn't thinking about those -- those are the exceptions.Nope -- default cables for 600's are 1/8" w/ 1/4" adapter, I think Grados are 1/4", don't know about AKG's; Beyers are 1/8" w/ 1/4" adapters; Sony CD3000's and MDR-7506/-V6's are all 1/8" w/ 1/4" adapters.

The only ones I know of that are 1/4" are: Grados (the ones I have, anyway); Audio-Technica Japan (and even the A100Ti is 1/8" w/ 1/4" adapter, though the rest are not); and Sony R10's.

hmm I didnt know that about the other phones but the AKG 501, 601 and 701 have 1/4" connectors. and I think the denons have 1/8" connectors. Completely forgot that my 580s have the 650 stock cable not the 600 cable.

I guess you're right, most phones do have 1/8" connectors. Wierd.

• 5 months later...