K1000 = hope

JimP

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes it was HIT Audio, really nice people. I didn't bring K1000s with me. They did demo the A205AmkII with some floor standing high-sensitivity speakers (Zu Druids?), which sounded stunning. I'm still bewitched by these K1000s. Too early to tell, but the A205's 'miserly' 5w per ch at 8 ohm are really making the K1000s shine, eg, there's enjoyable and quality bass out of the K1000s now. All the wonderful detail is still there, but no longer 'clinical' as was from the B60R. With either mini-DAC or DAC1 variable volume set at 12 o'clock, I can't exceed around 9 o'clock on A205 volume knob, tad higher for classical.

I think this purple one was a custom job for someone who must have bailed out. If this Almarro settles in nicely with the K1000s, I'll probably start shedding a lot of my other stuff. Maybe even get real speakers for this Almarro...

..Not much info out there, but a few very strong testimonials with K1000, price point seemed right US$800, and official dealer in HK. Just letting it cook-in today, and already it betters the 'sterileness' from the B60R that it replaces.

And I would be one of them Almarro/K1000 advocates :laugh:

Yeah, definitely get some nice speakers for them, but the real stunner will be a nice electrostat (Senn HE60, 90, maybe even HE Audio 'stat) via SRD7 MkII adapter and Almarro. It really doesn't get much better than Almarro/electrostat!

To be honest with you, as good as K1000/Almarro is, I haven't touched that combo in a while due to the aching beauty of HE60 'stat/Almarro combo.

Oooh, purple :)

I love the K1000 so much I bought a second pair. I use mine with an old hafler 220 and it sounds sooo goood. One day I should probably get a new amp but that's a very long way away. That Almarro does look nice though... I think some nice wood cheeks would set it off nicely.

via SRD7 MkII adapter and Almarro. It really doesn't get much better than Almarro/electrostat!

I'm rather taken by the SR-Lamda w/ SRD-7 SB I just bought, so that has me thinking...now comes the scouring audiogon at all hours for one, ponying up and buying one new, or building my own SEP amp.

Time to gather some things to sell

I'm rather taken by the SR-Lamda w/ SRD-7 SB I just bought, so that has me thinking...now comes the scouring audiogon at all hours for one, ponying up and buying one new, or building my own SEP amp.

Time to gather some things to sell

I see used A205 MkII all the time for like $500. I doubt you can build your own SEP at that price that will sound as good..

Almarro really spent their money on what counts, i.e. heavy duty PS tansformer and output transformers with pretty heavy chassis. The rest inside is no chump change, either! Even the stock coupling caps actually sound dang good, even compared to VCap teflons, etc.

yes it was HIT Audio, really nice people. I didn't bring K1000s with me. They did demo the A205AmkII with some floor standing high-sensitivity speakers (Zu Druids?), which sounded stunning. I'm still bewitched by these K1000s. Too early to tell, but the A205's 'miserly' 5w per ch at 8 ohm are really making the K1000s shine, eg, there's enjoyable and quality bass out of the K1000s now. All the wonderful detail is still there, but no longer 'clinical' as was from the B60R. With either mini-DAC or DAC1 variable volume set at 12 o'clock, I can't exceed around 9 o'clock on A205 volume knob, tad higher for classical.

Oh, HIT Audio. I dropped in by their store in Central and they were great, although I didn't get to demo the A205AmkII - they switched the Zu's for the Almarro speakers.

What really got to me, though, was the Rogue Audio Cronus. If it weren't for the fact we have no space for a third amplifier I would have bought it on the spot. If you have time, could you try out a Cronus/K1K combo? ;D

Congrats on the purchase..K1000 can be your best friend or worst enemy. I think you'll notice in time that it'll reveal how good (or bad) your rig really is. As JonL said before replace that stock XLR to speaker extension as it is quite horrible. When I upgraded to a starquad extension there was a huge improvement in sound. There was some mention of amps recommended for the K1000 above and i'll chime with some Pass Labs related suggestions in case you are interested in an upgrade or different sound in the future: Aleph 3, FirstWatt F1, F2, or F3 :)

I'm really switched on to this Almarro + K1000.

Question for Jon L, do you listen to K1000 from 8 ohm or 16 ohm tap?

That is a rather interesting question, and of course I've tried both. Many times. With many other headphones, also.

Basically, both makes me happy, but 8 Ohm tends to have a smidge more bass quantity while 16 Ohm tends to sound smidge more transparent up top, sometimes more revealing of recording flaws. After all, the 8 Ohm tap has to go through a lot more transformer wire...

Day two with my pimp rig (color coordinates with the knobs on my miniDAC, and that's very important to me now), and I am still enthralled. Wish I had started with K1000 from the beginning.

One small disappointment with the Almarro. There is a headphone out (1/8" jack in the back), so with an 1/8" to 1/4" adaptor, I tried my HD650 single-end. Result was very promising (corroborates the other thread by catscratch), but there is significant low level noise/hum. Also tried my HD580 which is wired balance to a 4-pin XLR which I can plug to my K1000 tail to speaker taps. Also sounds very good except for the low level noise/hum. Although I bought the Almarro for standalone with K1000, if I can resolve this noise issue, I would be off-the-charts pleased with this amp purchase.

I think I'm going to chrome plate the amp feet...

OK last post on the purple nurple...

I've voted with my feet. My L3000/DHA3000 has been sold. I'm going with Almarro A205AmkII + K1000. Not that one is 'better' per se, but the latter is a bewitching combo that is holographic beyond the dynamic headphone paradigm. Thanks, Jon L, for your postings/recommendations.

almarro5.jpg

OK last post on the purple nurple...

Thanks, Jon L, for your postings/recommendations.

almarro5.jpg

Better music is what we all strive for, so enjoy!

Do I see the stock K1000 extension cable in the background still? Make yourself some nice cables with some solid-core copper/magnet wire, and you will gain another level of performance.

I know some use the Canare Starquad, but I made one myself, and I don't like it much, especially compared to the Vampire magnet wire version.

As far as background noise with "normal" headphones, I would solder in 2 resistors right at the 1/8" headphone jack, perhaps around 100 Ohms or so. In fact, why not put a 1/4" jack at the same time.

"Jesus, you sold your L3000?"

you've mistaken me for someone else, my name is Jim...

No regrets, doesn't diminish my respect for the L3000 especially in tandem with DHA3000. Now I'm no longer curious (same with PS1's I sold a while ago, which were also amazing). Honestly 80% of my listening is with HD580 direct out of miniDAC or DAC1. Or some other 'inferior' combo.

Also, the Almarro + K1000 is 80% of the cost of the L3000 alone, nevermind the DHA3000. I've A/B'ed the two sets (not so scientifically but rifling through all my favorite music) -- one is not better than the other. But I think the Almarro/K1000 is also world-class with this holographic soundstage and super detail, with the Almarro adding some bottom end and making the K1000 more musical/less clinical.

heck I still enjoy music straight out of minidisc as I do a lot of business travel, but that's another thread.

Jesus, you sold your L3000?

Mistake.

I mean, the K1000 is like no other headphone, but...the L3000, well, it is like every other normal headphone...except better...

Yeah I sold my L3000 to raise money for speakers. They're awesome headphones but I just love those Avantgardes way too much.