K1000 = hope

JimP

OK my previous thread rambling about HD650/580 was in essence about burning out a bit and cynicism creeping in with respect to this hobby (ie, is it worth it...). I snagged a K1000 finally after a long period of hesitation -- and while I've only had it days and and running from an old Bryston integrated amp -- it's like a shot of newfound entusiasm for headphones (or new 'fro-age O0 O0 O0). This is my last significant acquisition, I have no money now. The Bryston will have to do for awhile in terms of amp. Will be playing with my current portfolio longterm to see what stays/what goes. I know many of you have already been there, but this K1000 has fired me up again. My current lopsided tower:

k1000-B.jpg

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah the k1000s are damn nice headphones. though I will say that the 650s are very solid headphones in their own right. they have a lower ceiling than the k1000, but then again they also cost a hell of a lot less.

btw why bryston amp is that?

The only headphone I've owned as long as the K1000 was the HD-600 and HD-650. The only one that remains is the K1000. They continue to be my favorite headphone. They only get better with better amplification. Enjoy them with what you have now and save until you can move up to the next level. You won't be disappointed.

tkam: this is a 10 yr old Bryston B60R integrated amp. That chunky thing on top of the DAC1 is the volume remote for the amp. Literally haven't used it in the last 5-6 years (used a toothbrush to clean the amp speaker contacts which were looking a bit nasty from being mothballed for so long), glad I still have it around or else I could not use the K1000's now.

You are not your post count!

BTW, welcome to Head-Case. :P

Nice setup BTW, you may not need to upgrade your integrated right away, perhaps just put a tube-buffer in front of it. And perhaps recap it if it's as old as you say it is.

How much difference does the tube buffer really make? I'm not sure tubes are the solution to making upstream/downstream gear better...

An SH member created a file with and without a MF tube buffer, I had a hard time telling them apart:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=131934

I just like 'em. It's not a matter of better, it's a matter of personal taste, I think they take the edge off digital reproduction. And I'm not sure you can capture that digitally -- kinda seems antithetical to me. That's why I said "perhaps".

I disagree that digital reproduction has an "edge", a good DAC/CDP shouldn't sound like that.

I know what you're saying, but I don't think you should assume his setup sounds harsh because he didn't say that in his post.

And the tube buffer isn't necessarily going to smooth out the sound of his setup, IMO that has to do with how good your gear is. My tube preamp was basically a tube buffer, but my setup still had a hardness to it that I wasn't happy with. I just don't think tubes are the solution to everything.

On the one hand, I agree -- tubes are not the solution to everything for everyone. I certainly like them enough that I have them in every one of my systems, including my speaker setup right now.

And the suggestion was meant as just that -- something worth trying, if possible. Hear, and decide for one's self.

I disagree that digital reproduction has an "edge", a good DAC/CDP shouldn't sound like that.
Even without a tube stage? Okay, let's just agree to disagree then. Because though I agree it's not night-and-day difference, I do believe that all redbook digital has a harshness/edge to them -- and with better systems, less so -- and higher rate PCM recordings have even less so, and analog is the bestest. I'm not sure how I feel about DSD, as I'm still addicted to the sound, and am not finding the same harshness that I am with redbook. But even then, I'm still listening through tubes, so who knows.
I know what you're saying, but I don't think you should assume his setup sounds harsh because he didn't say that in his post.
It's usually a safe assumption, but I wasn't assuming. I was just offering it as a potential place to improve one's sound. It may not be an improvement, and certainly wouldn't be in every setup, but he already said something about the Bryston something he was going to have to live with for a while. That tells me there's something he's not happy with in his setup. Just guessing, but that's where the recap suggestion came from.

Jim -- feel free to take my suggestion under advisement, and/or to take deepak's responses as qualifications to my statements.

On the one hand, I agree -- tubes are not the solution to everything for everyone. I certainly like them enough that I have them in every one of my systems, including my speaker setup right now.

I'm no tube hater ;D

My speaker rig will definitely have some big tubes in it :P

And the suggestion was meant as just that -- something worth trying, if possible. Hear, and decide for one's self.Even without a tube stage? Okay, let's just agree to disagree then. Because though I agree it's not night-and-day difference, I do believe that all redbook digital has a harshness/edge to them -- and with better systems, less so -- and higher rate PCM recordings have even less so, and analog is the bestest. I'm not sure how I feel about DSD, as I'm still addicted to the sound, and am not finding the same harshness that I am with redbook. But even then, I'm still listening through tubes, so who knows.

I think the very good digital gear using good DACs/upsamplers don't necessarily require a tube output stage or buffer to produce pleasant sound. I'm very happy with the discrete output stage on my DAC. My previous digital source definitely had an "edge" to it.

It's usually a safe assumption, but I wasn't assuming. I was just offering it as a potential place to improve one's sound. It may not be an improvement, and certainly wouldn't be in every setup, but he already said something about the Bryston something he was going to have to live with for a while. That tells me there's something he's not happy with in his setup. Just guessing, but that's where the recap suggestion came from.

Jim -- feel free to take my suggestion under advisement, and/or to take deepak's responses as qualifications to my statements.

Sounds good :)

An SH member created a file with and without a MF tube buffer, I had a hard time telling them apart:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=131934

Okay, just listened to this, I guessed incorrectly, but for the wrong reasons -- I ended up preferring the tubed clip.

I think the test would have been better if recorded at a higher res, say 24/96.

k1000-B.jpg

Welcome to the K1000 club. That oldie Bryston is actually a pretty good SS amp and should give you good service. The FIRST thing to do is to build yourself a better adapter cable. You don't need to buy those $$$ name-brand ones. Just make one with some Neutrik 4-pin XLR and 4 runs of Vampire continuous-cast copper "magnet wire."

thanks for all the various suggestions, but I'm going to have to go slow to figure out what all my options are, but more importantly cash = 0. Only day 3 with this, and novelty hasn't worn off. Even my wife, who has zero interest in this stuff -- after calling me a dork and doofus (is that correct spelling? haven't used that one in ages) seeing me with the K1000 on my head, tried it briefly and commented this one is "interesting". That's huge, because her comments to date on all the other phones including L3000 was "So what's the point?" I could say same about her shoes/bags but that's how battles begin, so in my magnamious maturity, I just do this to my spouse: :-*:-* :-*

Congrats as well.

I went nuts developing a K1000 system after going to a dealer with just my k1000 headphones and listening to an Ayre 5cxe and Air Tight 300b system. Otherwordly...I'd never heard something so lifelike until then and I had an he90/es1 system at that time.

So you definitely have a headphone that u can grow with and adjust.

You'll also notice how each component downstream from the headphone will alter the sound so when you're ready, it'll be worth it to upgrade your components...try different speaker amps, sources, using an aftermarket cable, removing the cage, and interconnects...you hear a noticeable change each time.

Congrats on the K1000. I felt the same way after I bought my HP-2: "I'll never spend this much money on headphones again."

The K1000 certainly has a magical sound that is different than every other headphone's. Do you have to turn the volume way up to get decent sound?

Enjoy the music!

• 1 month later...

OK update

Started researching for proper amp for K1000, and cut to the chase, I bought an Almarro A205A mkII single-ended pentode integrated amplifier. see here (http://www.almarro.com/products.html). Not much info out there, but a few very strong testimonials with K1000, price point seemed right US$800, and official dealer in HK. Just letting it cook-in today, and already it betters the 'sterileness' from the B60R that it replaces. If you check Almarro site, it's offered in black and whitish grey.

Mine is...uh....poiple :o It was the last one in stock, otherwise dealer claims a couple months wait. Will provide impressions with K1000 after some use of this combo. As for the color, if the bling bothers me long-term, I suppose I could repaint the chassis myself, or sell it to Prince (or get a purple faceplace for my DAC1, and a purple band for the K1000...what the hell am I talking about?)

Almarro.jpg