The Apollo has landed.

A black one. I got the Apollo home and plugged it in. I did not wait for any warm-up what-so-ever. Holy cow! What great sounds. Way better than the E5 and I still have to break it in. I coulden't even think of how much greater a sound the upcomming Saturn might be. How could it be any better??? The sound is like analogue or being like Single Power's finest amp and most all other source units sounding like an OK solid state amp in comparison. I heard the G08 at the last meet for a limited time and was not bowled over. However it was only a brief few selections and A/B'd it with the E5 and found it only slightly better. The Apollo beats the G08 by a wide margine, at least. With the Apollo, you don't notice yourself listening for differences or nit picking/praising the unit, but rather hopelessly drawn into the music instantly. Just loving it. :dance::laugh::dance:

This is only related to headphone listening. Sorry for having an opinion, but I stand by it. Listen to one and see for yourself.

Pure Heaven. I will have more comments after the breakin. :dance::laugh::dance:

The G08 has been out for some time now and a new round of technology is just hitting the market. This one with 20 mb of memory, a new "main brain" or CPU (supposedly the most advanced in the industry), a new specially made transport, super fast clock, new "Class A audio output section, and six power supplys. I will have more comments after the breakin.

Oh yeah! The Saturn. Hummmm! I will want to hear a few opinions when it comes out. Sometimes the upper model in a line-up is not regarded as well. Or maybe the Saturn will loose that sweet analogue sound the Apollo has for some other type of sound similar to the rest. If I hear it runs in the same "sound" vein as the Apollo, but just more of it, then I will get it too. I don't know how the Apollo could be topped, in the under $2000 price class, even by the Saturn; but we shall see. :dance::laugh::dance:

Enjoy your new player!

You sound a bit deffensive. So to clarify I am not making any attacks on your opinions. It just stroke me as a very certain statement regarding the G08 player that I wanted to hear the associated gear you used in your audition. As a disclaimer, I don't own the G08 or any Rega players, btw. And I really have no stake on, or about, either player being indeed better than the other. It was not a loaded question FWIW.

I am sure I'll get to hear the Apollo and make my own judgement. Yet just because there is new technology out there, it does not mean it is inherently, and categorically, better. Thanks for sharing your impressions. I look forward to hearing this player.

The Apollo beats the G08 by a wide margine, at least. With the Apollo, you don't notice yourself listening for differences or nit picking/praising the unit, but rather hopelessly drawn into the music instantly.

I listened to the Apollo recently at a audio shop here for about 30mins of dedicated Sensaphonic>sr-71 listening.

Its a nice player but it aint no ground breaker, and comparing to my G08 I live with Its sounded harsh (digital sounding man..),cheap (Heard better for cheaper..much cheaper),short (no real depth),shady (the bass had absolutely no depiction..everything was a one note bass), and to quick (the song just flew by..no time to relax and enjoy)...

Of course I DID NOT GO INTO THE DEMO COMPARING THE G08...after all anybody with a fucking brain would NOT COMPARE a $4,400 top line (maybe "rated" is a better word) unit against something in the $1k that just hit the sales floor..let alone anyone with a fucking brain to listen to one of the units at a noisy meet and dare throw a rock at the king (sort of say..yes there is much better of cdp's out there..).

I thought the Apollo was indeed a fun CD player and to me it is ReGa's best yet by far, hell I thought of buying one in the future...enjoy it for what it is..I budget cd player that should give you many of moons of happy happy listening...but don't throw rocks at the king (again sort of say)..I know your excited and all..

Now I am thinking of the Apollo in a second setup, but I would rather wait to see what the used price in some time goes to..knowing Rega it shouldn't hold much value (then again what does)...

and to your "ATLEast with the apollo.." wording...

I actually found myself more nit picking the unit cause of its harshness and when I got my G08 in all I wanted to do was get more music (cd's)...In fact thats the only major difference I remember when I first got mine in...in other words I wanted more music cause maybe of the addicting way the g08 had?..not sure.

• 1 month later...

I've heard both the G08 and the Apollo in my set-up. The G08 does so much so very well. If you haven't heard the G08, the best analogy I can think of is it is similar to being Neo in the Matrix and listening to an average CD player with his ears. The presentation seems slower than normal, but the time clock moves at the right speed. You can get your ears around each and every instrument and/or voice without thinking about it. The soundstage is wide and the notes have depth, near perfect pitch and tonality and weight. On occasion, I thought my ears were getting sensitive to something in the G08 sound with the Cardas Golden Reference Cables, but that was after long listening sessions. My biggest gripe with the G08 is that the player seems to take the recording and mess with the mix. As an example, the vocals seem muted and recessed and it does so with other instruments so as I believe to balance the sound so the listener can hear as much as possible. The G08 is hyper-detail and seems to sacrifice some macro dynamics and liveliness in the process.

With respect to the Apollo, I've had it on pretty much consistently for going on three weeks and it is continuing to make improvements, yet the biggest ones were during the first 10 days. Thereafter, changes have been more subtle. The Apollo doesn't separation the instruments as well as the G08. In fact, the G08 does separation so very well it is somewhat unnatural but still beautiful just the same. Additionally, the Apollo has excellent detail retrieval yet the G08 is better and better at articulate what has been retrieved. The Apollo has got PRaT I just want to move around and get lost in the music. I can?t remember having the same experience as often with the G08. Granted, the G08 does nearly everything better than the Apollo, but the Apollo comes closer to the G08 than my E5 did. The Apollo is a very musical and analog sounding player and at under grand and can be had for less than the retail price too it is a really great deal. I had thought about getting the G08 and would need to hear it again, but at this point I am so very content with the Apollo because it does so many things right that it makes music really enjoyable and life-like. I would have a very hard time justify the G08 price tag even used. And I suppose there are so many other players in the G08 price range to consider as well, if I wanted to spend the big bucks.

I've heard both the G08 and the Apollo in my set-up.

With respect to the Apollo, I've had it on pretty much consistently for going on three weeks and it is continuing to make improvements, yet the biggest ones were during the first 10 days. Thereafter, changes have been more subtle. The Apollo doesn't separation the instruments as well as the G08. In fact, the G08 does separation so very well it is somewhat unnatural but still beautiful just the same. Additionally, the Apollo has excellent detail retrieval yet the G08 is better and better at articulate what has been retrieved. The Apollo has got PRaT I just want to move around and get lost in the music. I can?t remember having the same experience as often with the G08. Granted, the G08 does nearly everything better than the Apollo, but the Apollo comes closer to the G08 than my E5 did. The Apollo is a very musical and analog sounding player and at under grand and can be had for less than the retail price too it is a really great deal. I had thought about getting the G08 and would need to hear it again, but at this point I am so very content with the Apollo because it does so many things right that it makes music really enjoyable and life-like. I would have a very hard time justify the G08 price tag even used. And I suppose there are so many other players in the G08 price range to consider as well, if I wanted to spend the big bucks.

WOW!.........Ditto here too.:dance:

• 2 weeks later...

This is a reprint on a thread complaining about the Apollo's 8lb weight.

You guys got to get rid of that old thinking. New technology is at hand. No, I definetly do not weigh down my Apollo. It just does not need that. The thick cast alum. is ultra rigid. The Apollo has better bass and is an all around better sounding player, without faults, than the 28lb "BIG name brand" I just bought Tuesday. That 28lb.unit is a current Stereophile "A" rated item and it has been reviewed as a great unit many times. It shall remain NAMELESS for now though. A brand new 28lb player and I am going to have to tear it apart and soup it up just to be in contest with the Apollo. However I do have my reasons.

Yes, the bass and midrange is much improved in this Apollo. It is probably due to the mod I did. But anyone who can soldier would be able to do this for about $5, a trip to Rat Shack, and a half hours work.

The Apollo now outshines even my modded Denon 3910. However I am not done modding the Denon yet. Not by a long shot. The Denon does have new op-amps (soon to be replaced altogether), rebuilt/beefed up powersupply, and a new master and several smaller clocks with less than 1ppm.