Any hockey fans?

GPH

Damn, I love hockey. Even more when the Canadiens are winning like this season. :prettyprincess:

Seriously, I think no other sport beats hockey on television. Fast action, solid physical contacts, intelligent plays, etc.

I don't understand why you Americans don't love it as we do in Canada. Football rules, but why the hell is baseball more popular than hockey? Watching baseball on TV is as exciting as watching plants grow...

So, any hockey fans out there?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand why you Americans don't love it as we do in Canada. Football rules, but why the hell is baseball more popular than hockey? Watching baseball on TV is as exciting as watching plants grow...

while i agree that watching baseball on tv is boring as all heck, going to the stadiums to watch the games is far better. as someone who grew up in minnesota, i'm quite fond of hockey, but don't really follow it all that much. football is, and always will be, my all-time favorite, especially college football.

college sports is basically the best sports ever in my book.

I grew up on hockey. My parents, for a time, owned a couple rinks that minor league teams like the Flint Generals (Michigan) used for practice, along with a lot of the kids' leagues and figure skaters, etc. I used to work in the pro shop and the concession stand, or was stuck cleaning the bathrooms or whatever else they told me I doing that day. Both my brothers played, and my younger brother played in a travel league, mostly to places in Ontario as I remember. I even played Ringette when I was about 13, but wasn't any good. I really like hockey, but haven't followed it in a while. Don't know why. Maybe because it's expensive to go to live games. Maybe because we get a lot of NHL players at my rehab. With the exception of one, they and their families have all been nightmares. Mostly likely, I just have other things to do with my time. I'd still love to see a live game, though. That's always good.

Maybe because it's expensive to go to live games.

Sad but true... For the price of a live hockey game, I can go to 4-5 music shows in small venues that I'm almost sure will be good compared to a hockey game that can be very boring (i.e. against New Jersey Devils >:D). To make it even worse, they sell the beer 9$ at the Bell Centre. With that said, the arena was sold out for every game in the last couple of years and it's actually hard to even find a ticket.

Sad but true... For the price of a live hockey game, I can go to 4-5 music shows in small venues that I'm almost sure will be good compared to a hockey game that can be very boring (i.e. against New Jersey Devils >:D). To make it even worse, they sell the beer 9$ at the Bell Centre. With that said, the arena was sold out for every game in the last couple of years and it's actually hard to even find a ticket.

It's even worse in Toronto, and our team completely sucks ass. The only reason I can even get tickets to a game is because my GF's friend's brother plays for the Leafs, so once in a while they can pass us a couple extra friends & family tickets.

I love watching hockey, but not the Leafs since they skate like slugs and all they do is dump & chase the puck since they have so few skill players. Watching say, Ottawa & Montreal go at it is a whole different story, pure end to end action, brilliant passes and moves along with great goals. It's a much more exciting & enjoyable game.

It's even worse in Toronto, and our team completely sucks ass. The only reason I can even get tickets to a game is because my GF's friend's brother plays for the Leafs, so once in a while they can pass us a couple extra friends & family tickets.

I love watching hockey, but not the Leafs since they skate like slugs and all they do is dump & chase the puck since they have so few skill players. Watching say, Ottawa & Montreal go at it is a whole different story, pure end to end action, brilliant passes and moves along with great goals. It's a much more exciting & enjoyable game.

As much as I hate the Leafs when they're playing good hockey (old Montreal-Toronto rivalry :D), it's sad to see them lose like that because the fans in Toronto are exceptionnal and they deserve a good team.

As much as I hate the Leafs when they're playing good hockey (old Montreal-Toronto rivalry :D), it's sad to see them lose like that because the fans in Toronto are exceptionnal and they deserve a good team.

I'd say the problem is our fans are too good, no matter how much the Leafs suck the ACC is always sold out so there's no incentive for the owners & management to improve the team. The Leafs could finish dead last for 5 years and the ACC will still be sold out every single night. If Toronto fans actually stopped going to the games, then management will actually start thinking about building a good team to get the fans back. Of course, there's the other problem of the Leafs being majority owned by the Ontario Teachers Pension Plan, those dumbasses don't know a goddamn thing about hockey. >:(

Come on down the second week of April. You can learn for yourself. We will be taking down a rink and rebuilding it. Have to have it done in three weeks. Its on sand and is going to be a real pain in the ass since the sub floor heater has been down for over a year. Lots of fun. Plus you can learn the joys of what cold feet really are when you spend 7-10 hours straight on the ice during painting.

Ottowa is absolutely nasty. I love catching their games on TV.

Some of the best sporting events that I've been to were the early/mid 90s Oilers games :)

• 3 weeks later...

So guys, what are your picks for the playoffs?

Here's mine:

Montreal/Boston: Habs in 5. I don't know how the Bruins got to the playoffs, but they sucked pretty hard against Montreal during all the season. Tim Thomas can be good on some nights, so I give them one game.

Ottawa/Pittsburgh: Penguins in 6. Ottawa used to be a good team at the beginning of the season, but their downfall has been going for so long that I can't imagine them coming back.

New York/New Jersey: Devils in 7. The Rangers are the better team IMO and the Devils are boring as hell, but they've got Brodeur in the nets. Enough said.

Washington/Philadelphia: Caps in 6. They've come a long way to make the playoffs and they're on fire right now. I can't see them going very far in the playoffs, but they will at least beat the Flyers.

I don't know the teams in the Western Conference very well, so I won't prounounce myself on these.

GO HABS GO!

So guys, what are your picks for the playoffs?

Here's mine:

Montreal/Boston: Habs in 5. I don't know how the Bruins got to the playoffs, but they sucked pretty hard against Montreal during all the season. Tim Thomas can be good on some nights, so I give them one game.

habs in 5 sounds about right

Ottawa/Pittsburgh: Penguins in 6. Ottawa used to be a good team at the beginning of the season, but their downfall has been going for so long that I can't imagine them coming back.

pens in 3, even tho I hate the pens. The sens are awful anymore

New York/New Jersey: Devils in 7. The Rangers are the better team IMO and the Devils are boring as hell, but they've got Brodeur in the nets. Enough said.

rangers in 6. I want the devils to win, but the rangers are dangerous. Now is when drury comes alive.

Washington/Philadelphia: Caps in 6. They've come a long way to make the playoffs and they're on fire right now. I can't see them going very far in the playoffs, but they will at least beat the Flyers.

Caps in 5. If they beat the flyers, they're going deep :)

20080411-jmmewx61h5pguajd53h3w2g8w7.preview.jpg

I don't know the teams in the Western Conference very well, so I won't prounounce myself on these.

I'll say nashville in 7 over detroit, calgary in 6 over san jose, anaheim in 5. I'm not sure who they're even playing, or who the other game is between.
GO HABS GO!

Go CAPS!

[me=grawk]is rockin' the hawk in section 402 for tomorrow's caps/flyers game.[/me]

* grawk is rockin' the hawk in section 402 for tomorrow's caps/flyers game.

You lucky bastard. Tickets here are nearly impossible to find and prices are crazy if you get them second hand. I guess I'll be watching Saturday night game with a couple of friends at my house with lots of beer. Not as good as the real thing, but fun nonetheless. 8)

You lucky bastard. Tickets here are nearly impossible to find and prices are crazy if you get them second hand. I guess I'll be watching Saturday night game with a couple of friends at my house with lots of beer. Not as good as the real thing, but fun nonetheless. 8)

Whoops, I just checked with ticketmaster

We're now Section 120, Row A (on the Mother FUCKING GLASS!)