Cheap active speaker recommendations

jinp6301

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone heard the Scandyna Micropod SE Actives? The Audioengine A5s are at the top of my list but I'm keeping an open mind :) I'm guessing a sub will eventually be needed with either choice.

Unfortunately my desk space is a premium or else I would have jumped on the Qual 12LA's that just popped up on the 'gon

The 12LA's aren't that big, are they?

I've not heard the Scandyna's, but the reviews of the Minipod Passives were pretty positive across the board when they came out as the Blueroom Minipods (as designed by former members of B&W). They're still on my wish list, but you should probably check out the dimensions of both the Scandyna and the Quad, I suspect they're closer than you think.

The 12LA's aren't that big, are they?

I've not heard the Scandyna's, but the reviews of the Minipod Passives were pretty positive across the board when they came out as the Blueroom Minipods (as designed by former members of B&W). They're still on my wish list, but you should probably check out the dimensions of both the Scandyna and the Quad, I suspect they're closer than you think.

Quad 12LAs (dimensions off Amazon.com)

16x8x12

Micropod SE Actives (manuf specs; I assume this is without the legs)

6.5x5x5

Wow. I wonder if the Minipods are significantly bigger than the Micropods. I had gotten the impression that they were full-size speakers, now I'm not so sure.

Yes, IIRC the minipods are about 13" tall. Not at all a full sized speaker though.

I was using 2 left over small Velodyne satellites from my "Deco" 5.1 system and a Travagans or Nuforce mini speaker amp, but my Audioengine A2 are better since their internal amp is EQ'd for their proper balance and best sound. I didn't want anything as big as the A5, so this works well for me and should for others out there as well. I haven't felt the need for a subwoofer yet, but that could be useful.

Funny how this thread was resurrected from the dead...

• 2 weeks later...
I still like the Event TR8 the most, and if you can find a pair for cheap then dew eet.

I bought a pair at the pawn shop for $150 about 3 years ago. I noticed that the local Guitar Center has the newer ASP8 reduced to something like $329 for the pair. These and the TR-6's turn up in craigslist often. I've also noticed a few 20/20's show up occasionally. These a rumored to be one of the best Event monitors ever made.