Today was a good day for audio!

mulveling

Marc is this the VH Audio silver wire?

yes... for the zapfilter psu, I used Mills resistors, and Nichicon Fine Gold capacitors. Identical values as stock. I believe I used 11DQ10 diodes as well (a fav of mine). Bypassed the 4 x 2 output caps in the Opus, and bypassed the caps after the 1:1 transformer on the CS receiver board (and a bunch of resistors). I left an (optional) single cap there, per the datasheet recommendation before the transformer on the positive input. Wire was indeed the vhaudio wire for signal and then 18ga Auric hook-up for power. I also used some of the newer (somehow cheaper) silver XLR jacks from Neutrik. Part number NC3FD-LX. Finally, I changed the umbilical cable to "non circular hole cutter tech approved" Neotech NES-3004. Added an Otto and another input on the amp.... Then the usual pixie dust and incantations, and a drop of Ray's blood mixed with a fertile chinchilla (this is key).

I find it ironic that all of Steve's gear "broke" while we were testing..... :rofl:

fierce_freak:

I just had the luxury to listen to gear and play with it. Nobody does this the first time around anyways. Maybe I'll get the Menace and be able to ditch those big resistors :) one thing I did, probably just because of my OC-nature is re-bias the amp with the lid on using a bunch of clip on probes. There was a good bit of change in the pots, believe it or not.

spritzer:

isn't the vhaudio wire and the jupiter wire the same thing? I was under the impression it was...

I find it ironic that all of Steve's gear "broke" while we were testing..... :rofl:

He's not kidding! It would have been comical if we weren't under a time crunch.

First my transport wouldn't read CDs. This was a pretty easy fix, since I had recently removed the top to take pics for Marc. It was as simple as plugging a connector up wrong.

Then after Marc hooked up the AES/EBU input on the DAC we hooked it up and got a lock light but no music. After trying just about everything Marc noticed that the ?22's heatsinks were cold. But the JT had power, because it would go through it's clicking noises when the knob was turned. Hmmm!

Well after a bit of hair pulling (which Marc can handle fine, but I don't have enough of in the first place) Marc discovered that the umbilical cable was not quite all the way turned in it's jack.

Man it was nerve wracking for a bit.

Marc the umbilical is locking fine on both ends now after a little tweaking this morning.

And Jim this came about simply because I wanted a little hotter top end to mate better with the Donuts and K340, and Marc wanted to own my soul. >:D

It in no way reflects on my satisfaction with your workmanship, as our latest project should indicate. ;D

He's not kidding! It would have been comical if we weren't under a time crunch.

First my transport wouldn't read CDs. This was a pretty easy fix, since I had recently removed the top to take pics for Marc. It was as simple as plugging a connector up wrong.

Then after Marc hooked up the AES/EBU input on the DAC we hooked it up and got a lock light but no music. After trying just about everything Marc noticed that the ?22's heatsinks were cold. But the JT had power, because it would go through it's clicking noises when the knob was turned. Hmmm!

Well after a bit of hair pulling (which Marc can handle fine, but I don't have enough of in the first place) Marc discovered that the umbilical cable was not quite all the way turned in it's jack.

Man it was nerve wracking for a bit.

Marc the umbilical is locking fine on both ends now after a little tweaking this morning.

And Jim this came about simply because I wanted a little hotter top end to mate better with the Donuts and K340, and Marc wanted to own my soul. >:D

It in no way reflects on my satisfaction with your workmanship, as our latest project should indicate. ;D

:useless:

of the meet ;D

Well I've only been listening for about an hour, but it's actually not that dissimilar to the ?22. Really nice bass. There's definitely a nice weight to it, but it's very controlled. I'm certainly not familiar enough with the Omegas to go into much detail yet, but there's no doubt that there's a tube in the preamp output. Very organic and slightly warm sound, without being too lush or gooey. I'd call it a bit warmer than the ?22 which is very neutral.