Wheatfield HA-2

Arrived on Thursday, I got it on Friday:

20080525wheatfieldha200vu7.jpg

20080525wheatfieldha200ao9.jpg

I've had a couple of days to listen to it, and it really is a superb HD650 amp. Reminds me of the first time I fell for the HD650 with the PPX3 Slam. Impossible to say which is better since I haven't owned the PPX3 for over a year. The bass is in total control and reaches lower then I recall it ever reaching (I have actually turned around a couple times to make sure my 22Ls weren't on). The amp makes the HD650 do all those lovely audiophile things, like create a nice space around guitar plucks and the like. Also does a damn fine job of recreating electric guitar crunch. This amp has certainly made rediscovering my HD650s a lot of fun.

I can say with authority its a richer and more balanced sound then with the single ended Dynahi. Soon we'll see what the Balanced Beta22 has to say about the Wheatfield and HD650s. ;)

This is also the hottest running amp I've ever owned. I could scramble an egg on this bitch.

Wait till we roll some tubes other than a 6080 in there! :kitty:

I think I'm ready for that Nate, I'll send you a PM. I'm doing vinyl through this thing for the first time, and the result is just exhilarating. I'm glad I don't have work tomorrow because I want to listen for a while. :prettyprincess:

I think I'm ready for that Nate, I'll send you a PM. I'm doing vinyl through this thing for the first time, and the result is just exhilarating. I'm glad I don't have work tomorrow because I want to listen for a while. :prettyprincess:

When you team the hd650 up with vinyl and the right amp you get pure magic :)

Congrats on the cooool new amp!

I've had a couple of days to listen to it, and it really is a superb HD650 amp. Reminds me of the first time I fell for the HD650 with the PPX3 Slam. Impossible to say which is better since I haven't owned the PPX3 for over a year.

This reminds me of my impressions as well. I don't think the two are all that dissimilar amps in terms of basic sound. It's been a bit, but I spend a good couple hours comparing to the Single Powers I had at the time and never ended up with the HA-2, so I guess that says something.

Enjoy!

The HA-2 is long out of production.

It's still on the books for Headroom to release an new version although I'm not sure where that project is right now. I haven't talked w/ Tyll or Pete about it in a while.

I bought it used in the for sale forums here.

And lucky you were to grab that, they are few and far between these days. I don't think I've seen one for sale since I sold mine last year.

Heh heh. Once you've heard a Bendix 6080 in a Wheatfield, you stop disrespecting that tube. The problem is finding them at anything resembling affordable.

Can't say I've had that pleasure, as a direct result of the absurd prices that they command and especially now that I'd need two of them. :) I do have some uber rare Bendix tubes to roll in at some point, but I'm waiting till I'm done experimenting with input tubes first. >:D