Mac Users: How do you do your music?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally, I use the Transporter/Squeezebox to play FLAC on a network, external HD when I'm listening to my speakers. The MBP holds AAC @224 for the ipod. Of course, I can also play my iTunes AAC through the PS3 if I wanted the convenience of using the iTunes interface. So far the PS3 won't support FLAC, but I'm hopeful that's coming. Conversion of FLAC to AAC is with Max. Used Toast for a time, but the PS3 just wouldn't play the Toast version so I went with Max and it's been smooth sailing since.

you can convert your FLAC files directly to ALAC with it.

Yeah I know. I should have formulated my question differently:

When I rip an album as I do now I just put in my laptop, say to iTunes import as ALAC with error correction. What advantage would Max give over iTunes as in better conversion or stuff?

To rip my CDs, I boot in Windows with Boot Camp and use EAC with some plugin that converts my tracks directly to ALAC. I don't know if the result is worth all this trouble, but I do it anyway.

To listen to my music, I use iTunes, which feeds the bits to my Duet. I love this setup a lot except for the fact that my MacBook fan can get quite noisy when I do a lot of multitasking.

Yeah I know. I should have formulated my question differently:

When I rip an album as I do now I just put in my laptop, say to iTunes import as ALAC with error correction. What advantage would Max give over iTunes as in better conversion or stuff?

It bundles a plugin called "paranoia" that works simialr to EAC's mutliple reads. EAC, however, can calibrate itself to your optical drive's characteristics.

When you use MAX, just enable paranoia.

-m

question about these errors that may occur when using a non-EAC, non-max type ripper. I've always wondered, are they audible? I mean is it like a sound stutter or a bleep? Since I got into audio I have used EAC, but back in my pre-audiophile days I ripped everything with iTunes, and can never recall hearing an audible error in the rip.

Having said that, EAC can definitely ripped scratched CDs much better then iTunes, but still I'm curious about what kind of errors we are talking about.