Check out this patriotic web site...

slwiser

"America's most widely read Internet-based publication, The Patriot Post, is a highly acclaimed journal advocating individual liberty, the restoration of constitutional limits on government and the judiciary, and the promotion of free enterprise, national defense and traditional American values".

Sounds like bullshit to me. How can you advocate individual liberty and promote traditional American values at the same time? How bout we let gay people have the same things straight people have and how bout we stop ignoring the fact that we made ourselves a target for terrorism when we provided Israel with aid so that they could use those resources to kill Palestinians. National defense? How bout some intelligent foreign policy? How bout we stop brain washing the American public into thinking terror is around every corner to promote war so big military contractors can line their pockets. Stop looking for reasons to hate. FYI the Muslim religion is the second largest religion in the world but narrow minded brainwashed Americans walk around thinking all Muslims are evil or participate in terrorist activities. Stop believing everything you see on TV, just because you see something on TV doesn't make it so.

"...traditional American values".

And which values would those be?

Slavery?

Denying women the vote?

Genocide of the indigenous population?

A pledge of allegiance without the recent insertion of the word "God" to allow differentiation from the "Godless communists"?

To misquote Bill Hicks on patriotism.

Last Time I checked the world was round. Whats so special about where your parents fucked anyway?

Just a little fun.

As you rightly point out the human race has done much in its past to be less than proud of.

I'm always a little suspicious when people use the phrase "tradition", when harking back to a mythical golden age. I chose the above examples to illustrate previous societal norms, which are now, hopefully / thankfully, no longer the case. People tend to quote selectively with regard to tradition, and for good reason. I also find the idea of tradition, for such a historically young country, amusing in and of itself.

Patriotism is often invoked as a divisive measure, to separate the "us" from the "them". A pissing match then ensues as to who is the "more" patriotic, and who is the "Real" American.

I though the only "Real Americans" were on reservations.

Was there a question? More an observation. As an outsider, its interesting to see how political rhetoric breaks down under analysis, when assumptions aren't shared, and some givens aren't.

Implied values often mean "My" values and not "Your" values.

America is a glorious political experiment, that started as a break with tradition. The founding fathers having suffered injustice at the hands of the British, wanted to ensure that those injustices would not be repeated, and understood the frailties of human nature and the corrupting effect of power.

I am impressed by the design. The implementation, at times, could be improved. ;)

*cough* we got three out of four from a little island across the pond *cough*

Being from that island I recognise slavery and denying women the vote as both being very popular at the time and the other two are still popular expressions of foreign/conquest policy for countries around the world even today :rolleyes:.

the more things change the more they stay the same :palm:

The Patriot Post is crafted by a national editorial team headed by Mark Alexander and serves as a hard-hitting rebuttal to contemporary political, social and mainstream media protagonists on the Left.

Statement of Faith

Resolved by the Board of Directors that we, and the National Advisory Committee, Editors and Staff of PatriotPost.US, willingly and of our own free will, affirm our belief in, reliance upon and commitment to the God of Christendom, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

We further Resolve, that the Board of Directors, National Advisory Committee, Editors and Staff of PatriotPost.US, affirm our commitment to advocate the Credo outlined in The Patriot's Statement of Principles, including the advocacy of standards of righteousness that honor God and His precepts for living, and adherence to a standard of truth, based on God's Word.

That's all I needed to read to confirm this is yet another typical tired neo-conservative fucking joke of an organization.

Resolved by the Board of Directors that we, and the National Advisory Committee, Editors and Staff of PatriotPost.US, willingly and of our own free will, affirm our belief in, reliance upon and commitment to the God of Christendom, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.

Christendom - a small village / hamlet in County Kilkenny, the Republic of Ireland (using google earth). Odd place for a U.S. magazine team to commit to a god :palm:;D