Hi-end IEM's

recstar24

They are very interesting, especially for Europeans, and cost less than I thought (at least with the weak British Pound). Anyway I haven't read a single review from someone I know/I consider reliable.

The T2 supposedly are very good, they share their treble driver with ER4's, plus have a dedicated woofer driver. ACS tought Sensaphonics how to build customs.

The T1 are considered an improvement over the T2, I think.

I have tried the ACS T1 and T2 before, though they aren't mine so clearly the fit isn't going to be 100% perfect. If anyone is actually interested to know I could post some short impressions, though i don't think my impressions would be very accurate or reflective since they aren't mine in the first place.

Yikes Ryan, unless you spend A LOT of time listening to IEMs I'd be hard pressed to see the UE10s as a good choice. I'd have to be flying weekly or commuting via public transport to even think about a purchase like that. Before you did that I'd try one of the new customs that popped last year, anyone buy Livewires that is.

Yeah I totally agree with that. The cost of customs is just too prohibitive. I could think of quite a bit of home gear that would go for that kind of prices.

As it is, I'm very happy with my ER-4's, and I'm stopping at that.

There is another custom company whose name escapes me now. I have the link at work (at least I think I do) and I'll post that tomorrow. Ok, the appropriate synapse fired, it's HearYourself.com... Custom Molded In Ear Monitors (WARNING - do not view in Firefox, their site is a wreck and they're working on it) and they have two lines. One has detachable cables and the other has fixed cables (about the only real difference I see) and if I ever scrape together enough cash again I'd go for a pair of the C2's. I like the lower sensitivity rating as that should make them less hiss-prone than the abysmal Livewires.

Hm I know of some people who had this exact issue, but apparently it was all solved with an impedence adaptor, like the P-S adaptor made my etymotics.

In my case it was not, I have the P to S adapter and while it certainly knocked down the hiss it did not eliminate it. And I simply refuse to have to use an adapter when all I want to do is plug my headphones into my Touch and go snow blow the driveway.

Hm I know of some people who had this exact issue, but apparently it was all solved with an impedence adaptor, like the P-S adaptor made by etymotics.

Everytime I use the triple.fi's "airline adapter" (which is just a resistor), it attenuates the upper-mids and highs more than the rest. Fail.

Everytime I use the triple.fi's "airline adapter" (which is just a resistor), it attenuates the upper-mids and highs more than the rest. Fail.

Hm I haven't tried resistance adaptors on the triple fi, but I can assure that resistance adaptors on the ER-4P (which is what they were made for) certainly doesn't have that effect, if anything thay actually reduce the bass slightly but give much better detail and control.

I am going to have to agree with JP here as well on the SE420s. I found them the most satisfying overall out of the Shure line, the SF5 pro and Jays. I do now know your experience with IEMs in general, but a universal fit would be advisable until you find a sound or company that you like.

Thanks Dash - in the past universals have fit me just fine. At least with shures, the triple flanges seem to work the best for my ears, no modification needed. Those foamies can get kind of weird.

Anyone have thoughts on the etymotic er4s? I hear that some think they are somewhat bright but very detailed. Some describe them as very neutral and linear.

I would like to suggest the Phonak Audeo as a good universal IEM that is close to high-end, and probably closer to an Etymotic/Livewires monitor-like sound than the SE530/Triple.fi/W3 sound. They are clear and quick and detailed and have good extension, and don't suffer from troublesome bass or mid-bass peaks or other colorations. I would pick these over a stock SE530 (rolled off), Triple.fi (boxy sound), SA6 (dull or lifeless at times) or even Image X10 (which I also like more than SE530/Triple.fi but have colored upper bass lower mids).

I still prefer my Livewires more than the Phonak as a neutral and accurate IEM, and my Westone 3 as a full and lush fun sounding IEM, but the Phonak are great universal IEM for people who don't want coloration to the sound but don't want it to be too analytical or dull at the other end of the spectrum. Nevertheless, I am getting impressions for Westone ES3X this week...

They are very interesting, especially for Europeans, and cost less than I thought (at least with the weak British Pound). Anyway I haven't read a single review from someone I know/I consider reliable.

The T2 supposedly are very good, they share their treble driver with ER4's, plus have a dedicated woofer driver. ACS tought Sensaphonics how to build customs.

The T1 are considered an improvement over the T2, I think.

uhh, milkpowder (maybe) has a review on them iirc

It's a T2 review sir, not T1. :)

As for the T2, it would be interesting to see how they compare with the latest high end IEMs, as the review is pretty old.

Treble is also a concern, since the tweeter used is the same as ER4P: Milkpowder says that they are extremely detailed, clear, smooth and that "Etymotic fanboys will be pleased". The last statement leaves me uncertain as to his definition of smoothness, since I find Etys to be sibilant. Maybe the custom shells cure that.

Regarding the T1, the only thing I have read is that a guy with few posts describes them as very big sounding but with too present midrange, and as such not very good for classical and jazz (for him).