$7.99 for a headphone amp?

Dusty Chalk

Ok i have it hooked into my lappy..

i have a go vibe usb dac, the Fiio 3, and then My m-audio studio monitors..yeah its messed up for a setup but My Dac1 is on the B52 now and i dont wanna plug in my headphones..

first off after plugging it in i can tell you there seems to be more hiss and volume coming from my monitors..its doing something.

playing Bella Sonus, lots more bass presence in the setup..like lots more. it does not bring out the low bass notes just amp the bass you already get. Bass takes on a weird place, instead of sitting in the back of the speakers it comes out at you more. like the mids and highs are sitting around the speakers but the bass seams more focused.

ok try it on some Jacintha..

Something is up with the soundstage, it seems a bit more 3d yet it seems generated more then natural. her voice seems further part from the other instruments..

Eros ramazzotti..tutte Storie album..

Again more bass and weird sounstage..

trying it with Pearl Jams "Black"...

again the same as the other songs but the setup gets to messy when the instruments are in full. like the setup looses its composure with rock...

ryan what are you hearing with Headphones? seems to be a increase in Volume from it only..but sort of a fun volume change.

I wanna try it in my Z4! i would not mind a bit more bass in the car..

At lest it's battery will get you through the day. My mini3 didn't make it past 7 hours :(

Looks like I need another walwart for work.

Great review Billy, I look forward to a more in-depth analysis. :D

Just dont leave it plugged in constantly Smeggy. It is possible to overcharge the battery in this, as it is just a constant current trickle charger. By constantly, I mean days at a time, one workday isnt a problem.

Just dont leave it plugged in constantly Smeggy. It is possible to overcharge the battery in this, as it is just a constant current trickle charger. By constantly, I mean days at a time, one workday isnt a problem.

Not plugged in all the time, just when it poops out at work. BTW, where do you guys find these walwarts? Also, what's the actual charge time for the average 300mah battery?

We need so send a Fiio to Nate for the 'moar blackgates upgrade' :palm:

AMB has three suitable wallwarts posted on his website that you can order. No idea about B&M store availability. I actually had two or three suitable ones just laying around at home when I built one for my boss. As for the battery charge time, it depends on the state of discharge. The onboard charger is a constant current arrangement that charges the battery at 16mA by default. It will take quite some time to charge, potentially up to about 20 hours.

20 hours? Yikes!

I've only had it for two days and had it charging overnight from fully discharged twice. I guess it's probably still not fully topped up then. Thanks for the info Colin :)

Happy day, I just had a dig around my office parts bin and found a 12V wallwart that's a perfect fit... used to belong to a plasma ball :D

Woo, further digging and I found a 15V 800mA one too... I'm plugging that bad boy in there and hope it doesn't go over the 24V limit ... hehe

Edited by Smeggy

20 hours is assuming there is absolutely nothing currently in the battery, and of course, this is unrealistic. I would have to look up battery curves, but all batteries drop voltage as they discharge, and you get into distortion once this voltage gets too low. There could still be plenty of power left in the battery; it just isnt usable for us. Overnight is the general rule of thumb people go by for this amp. Glad you found some suitable wallwarts, just make sure the polarity is correct.

Yeah, that was the first thing I checked. Works a treat. Now at least I should be able to get through the workday with it :D

Dang, I like this little amp and I'm looking forward to getting my Gamma 1 DAC too. Should make for a great mini rig along with my micro PC.... running my gargantuan orthos!

Edited by Smeggy