Nice little toy from Bel Canto

Genetic

12-2-08-bel-canto-usb-spdif.jpg

Yes another USB converter....:rolleyes:

I have an easy one for you: do these USB converters are that truly different from each other? I mean are they realy on different levels if you compare the ones you can find used like the affordable RedWine Audio to the crazy expensive Empirical stuff?

I like the Canto presentation but at $500 (US) this need to be good.

Thanks in advance.

Amicalement

Yep, and I'm willing to bet it'll come in better looking case. :)

OK you win....

But I'm still wondering if the iMac I will buy next month will benefit from such a costly converter if I want to use it with my Ack Dack 2.0

I like this dac but a $500. converter seems a bit over the top unless there is no real gain from these higher level converters.

Just wondering.

Amicalement

does the Ack Dack only have a coax connector? in that case, a toslink to coax adapter would be a better bet, i would think.

I just looked into that option. And indeed this will cost a lot less (around $50). I just hope this will (the adapter) keep the sound at a the same quality level as the one I was looking for with a converter.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Amicalement

I would get something like this instead:

AudiogoN ForSale: Theta Digital TLC

Or the popular Monarchy DIP.

It can convert TOSlink to coax and vice versa, but it also acts as a jitter reducer. You can find these used for around $100. If you can find one, these are a better value than a strict TOS-coax converter.

The first time I heard the Ack! dAck! 2.0 was through the Theta TLC being fed from a computer with Chaintech AV710 outputting TOSlink and it sounded great.

I thought it's claim to fame was being able to get bit perfect jitter free 24/96 music out of a computer that only has USB and no coax or optical out, so your coax capable DAC can decode it splendidly. Of course for the same price you could get a Mac mini with optical out, but some peeps claim it will have more jitter than something like the Bel Canto.