Redneck elevator

Wmcmanus

:blink: Double posts 30 minutes apart. Very strange.

Posing using quick reply, which uses ajax (the fancy javascript that allows you to update the page without reloading the whole thing), followed by a lost connection and the browser window being left open will do that.

Scissor lifts are safe enough. I'd still hunt down a training manual for one and go through it. They work best in places such as factory and shop floors which are flat everywhere. They are absolutely not for any place that isn't dead flat, and not for anywhere where heavy equipment can't roll without damage, so inside one's house is going to be out of the question unless you have concrete floors. Some idiot at one of the stores I worked at thought it'd be cool one day to take a forklift from the receiving dock onto the wooden shop floor and it broke through the wood, which made for an entertaining time getting it lifted out. Still, they are great for working anywhere where otherwise ladders or scaffolding would be required but where either of the other is a nuisance or inappropriate.

Bottom line is that I've outgrown my house and need to add on some extra space or else de-clutter, and I'm not too good at the latter.

I gotcha covered there, I am a master de-clutterator! :cool:

From what the others have said, building an external staircase would seem to offer the most utility, but then again what does my lousy non-engineer ass know? :D

Wayne, how about an steel building? These can be purchased with hurricane resistance built in (to a limit of course) and if you have the space in the yard it might be an option. For example: Hurricane Resistant Buildings - Metal Buildings - Steel Buildings by American Steel Span Metal Workshops - Metal Garage Kits by American Steel Span Buildings

Steel building wouldn't work. Not enough space, and then there's the ugly factor. But I could see where it might work for some people.

Buy a new house? That's a possibility, but building a new house would be better. That way, it could be designed to include an HT room and a dedicated audio room as well. Just not in the budget for now. In a lot of ways this would make more sense than adding on because going from 2,500 sf to 4,000 sf means that you end up with a house that emasculates the lot. Better to start with a 1/2 acre lot (or bigger) than crowd a 1/3rd acre lot.

Thanks for the congrats Vicki and Dinny.