Using New Oppo BDP-83 SE as External Dac for MacMini

Girardian

I don't own a BDP-83 but I read the manual the other day specifically with an eye to seeing if something like that were possible. It does not look like it is. The USB ports support only connection of a storage device.

Edit: To amplify a bit on that point: when the BDP-83 is talking to a USB thumb drive or hard drive, it is acting as the master in the connection, and the drive as the slave. When the Mac Mini talks to a USB DAC, the Mac Mini is acting as the USB master and the DAC as the slave. So there is not even close to being a protocol match between the Oppo and the Mac Mini: each expects to be the master in the connection. And a USB storage device just isn't a USB audio device in terms of structure and protocol...among other things, storage devices use the USB block device protocol, while DACs use a streaming protocol (usually isochronous I believe, but I haven't looked into this in a while . . . anyway, it's not a block-structured device like a disk drive).

So this suggests that an external drive (with music on it) would have to be connected directly to the Oppo and could not be connected to a MacMini.

I take it there's no other way to use the Oppo as an external DAC for computer audio?

I have a projector and any computer based set up will need to be accessible without having to turn on the projector (I was planning to go MacMini in part so that I could use my iPhone as a remote).

So if I'm planning to get an external DAC later (for computer audio but could also use this with the OPPO), is the upgrade to the SE version of the OPPO worthwhile, assuming I'd also use the external DAC with the Oppo player?

(I listen to movies in two channel on a high end system).

I take it there's no other way to use the Oppo as an external DAC for computer audio?
Sure there is: you could hack the Mac Mini and rewrite the USB driver so that it appears as an external drive to the Oppo. :)

There's also the network connection. But I guess that depends what the Oppo does with that.

So if I'm planning to get an external DAC later (for computer audio but could also use this with the OPPO), is the upgrade to the SE version of the OPPO worthwhile, assuming I'd also use the external DAC with the Oppo player?

(I listen to movies in two channel on a high end system).

Ask yourself this question: do you use the analog outs, or the HDMI outs? (Or other.)

Ask yourself this question: do you use the analog outs, or the HDMI outs? (Or other.)

Analog outs -- which is why I'm consider upgrading to the SE version of the player. The upgrade doesn't change the HDMI performance.

Oppo did update firmware to allow for DLNA network streaming, but it only supports a limited number of formats. I'm not sure I'd want to use Oppo's UI and remote for navigating a large library, searching, playlists, etc.

Neither would I -- I'd like to use iTunes, and to use an iPhone as a remote. Thanks for the link to the AA DLNA thread.

Why not use an external soundcard Like a Musicland USD 01 to convert the MACs USB to SPDIF then connect the spdif to the Oppo?

I need to do some more research on work arounds like this. Ideally, I'd like to minimize conversions if they degrade sound -- but I need to do a lot more reading up and learning about these issues.