Recommendations for jazz bassists similar style of Ray Brown or Paul Chambers

deepak

i cant really help with the 'contemporary' thing, but i bet we can find some older jazz with similar bass you'd like.

Do you have this? Its a good listen. Chuck Israels is bass on it according to the review, I dont have the insert in front of me so I cant confirm. Its a kind of similar swagger. Less projection and range though. There's only one Ray Brown.

i cant really help with the 'contemporary' thing, but i bet we can find some older jazz with similar bass you'd like.

Do you have this? Its a good listen. Chuck Israels is bass on it according to the review, I dont have the insert in front of me so I cant confirm. Its a kind of similar swagger. Less projection and range though. There's only one Ray Brown.

I haven't heard it or anything with Chuck Israel. Thanks :)

I agree there is only one Ray Brown. Already picked up every Fantasy 45 rpm issue he is on :)

I like Ron Carter, Brian Bromberg though he tends to be a little more contemporary in style, some of his tracks in Wood and Wood II are reminiscent of some later Ray Brown works. Dave Holland is another more contemporary style bassist but some of his work really appeals to me. Also, Niels Henning Orsted Pedersen and Harald Johnsen.

Jaco Pastorius, Charlie Hayden, John Patitucci, Scott Lafaro and Marcus Miller.

Some good choices already, of course, and Ron Carter and NHOP are among the tops. I think of all these guys as great contemporary bassists, although I am not sure all meet your Ray Brown criteria, per se.

Christian McBride -- Live at Tonic, Kind of Brown

Eric Revis -- Tales of a Stuttering Mind; Branford Marsalis Quartet (Metamorphosen, Braggtown, Requiem, Contemporary Jazz); Jeff Tain Watts (Citizen Tain, Bar Talk)

Matt Penman -- SF Jazz Collective

Greg Cohen -- Ornette Coleman Quartet (Sound Grammar); John Zorn/Masada (multiple); Tom Waits (multiple)

Harald Johnson and Mats Eilertsen -- Tord Gustavsen Trio

Leroy Vinnegar. His appearances on "My fair lady" with Shelly Manne, and "Gerry Mulligan meets Ben Webster" are the ones that come to mind. I don't have any of his albums as main artist.

I suppose you have these albums:

41E36JT1VCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg51AR8CECHNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

They're good ones to check if you like John Clayton and Christian McBride. NHOP and Ron Carter are worth checking. If you like Oscar Peterson, his albums featuring NHOP are great.