Tannoy Eyris 1

Spychedelic Whale

Agree, you want more power. Seems to me Tannoys' power ratings are fairly conservative (I've heard the 10 and 15-inch DC drivers taking quite a bit of power, in stride). If you have a lot of system gain then just be careful on the volume control - always start low, then move it up until you're satisfied. Don't assault your ears or drive into hard clipping, and it should be fine.

As for power, do consider the dynamic headroom the amp is capable of. A 50 Watt amp with 3dB of headroom could sound more powerful than a 70 Watt amp with 1dB of headroom. Music (maybe not recently recorded pop crap, so much) can have peaks > 10dB (much more for orchestral), so you're going to be limited by that much more than the continuous power levels. I wish more amps would have headroom of 6dB and up - for the most part now, 3dB is considered high.

Are yours the Eyris 1 with conventional drivers, or the Eyris DC 1 with a dual-concentric driver and a supertweeter? The Eyris DC1 and Sensys DC1 I've heard are indeed very nice with that sweet DC sound and imaging, but I do prefer the larger DC speakers for the dynamics and impact they yield.

headroom

how are you calculating this headroom exactly? peak divided by continuous? For example, how much headroom does a Pass F4 have? (sorta a trick question, but hey...) For example, are you considering when a class A amp slides into class AB as running out of headroom? (I wouldn't)

Edited by luvdunhill

Are yours the Eyris 1 with conventional drivers, or the Eyris DC 1 with a dual-concentric driver and a supertweeter? The Eyris DC1 and Sensys DC1 I've heard are indeed very nice with that sweet DC sound and imaging, but I do prefer the larger DC speakers for the dynamics and impact they yield.

Not sure I think its the ones with superdriver but here are the specs in the manual and a photo

dsc01183d.th.jpg

dsc01163ek.th.jpg

As for the amps, here in Portugal the most regarded amps seems to be the Rotel brand which I never heard of but I'm waiting for an answer with their models prices. By now My choice is lining to the MARANTZ PM 7003 since I tested my gear with a MARANTZ PM 6003 I should be happy with it.

• 2 weeks later...