Can we get rid of sliders on pictures?

guzziguy

It looks like a recent change is to have sliders for large items such as pictures. Not only is it unnecessary, it usually is in the way. If there is a group of pictures, one has to scroll down (using the browser vertical slider) to the horizontal slider, reposition the page using the horizontal slider and then scroll back up to the picture.

All browsers support horizontal scrolling and do it better and easier than display software. Can we remove the sliders in VB and let the browsers handle it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

You probably have a large enough monitor.

When a pic is posted that is wider than the post window would allow (dependent on your monitor size), there is again a slider under that particular post instead of just letting the browser handle it with its own horizontal slider. For an example, try looking at the photography thread on a laptop.

A slider is an icon that allows a user to reposition what is displayed. They only show up when a picture, text, etc. is too wide or tall to entirely fit on a screen. For example, there is almost certainly a slider on the right side of your browser while you peruse HC.

Normally, an application allows the browser to provide the slider. That's because a browser does it better than an application inside the browser. Unfortunately, the people who wrote vBulletin must have decided that they can do it better than the browser as the default setting seems to be for vBulletin to provide them when pictures are too large to display. More unfortunately, those people are wrong. When you have a series of pictures, to scroll back and forth you have to use the browser slider to go lower in the message, use the vBulletin slider to reposition the picture that you can no longer see and then use the browser slider to go back to the pictures. It's a real PITA.

The good news is that there seems to be a way to turn this "feature" off. Someone did it after the last update. I sure hope that person or someone else can do it again.

Edit: I just saw Salty's post. I have a 23" monitor and it's not near large enough. I doubt that there is a monitor large enough to handle some of the posts in the photography thread. Of course, having vBulletin do vertical scrolling isn't as painful as having it do horizontal scrolling.

Edited by guzziguy