Big Green Egg-Case

tyrion

Where can you get a Bubba Keg for $300?

I'm guessing it does the same thing as the BGE, but made with different materials...these things inspire crazy fanaticism that makes me pause--people are crazy for the thing they bought, and despise everything else.

I thought about getting a BGE or Traeger for a long time.   However, I wanted something I could put away in the garage when I wasn't using it (and Tim wanted something cheaper) so I ended up going with a Weber Smokey Mountain (18") which is $300, for smoking.  For grilling, we have the small "Old Smokey" ($29) which is cheap but works great (they are made by a company here in Houston).   The medium isn't that much more and would probably be better for a family.  The small one is perfect for the two of us.   Charcoal is much more work that a pellet or gas grill, but I like it.  

41viuJVWg9L._SY450_.jpg

41xKaXD0CML._SY450_.jpg

• Like 1

Bubba Keg is now Big Steel Keg and costs around $600.

In regards to people being crazy about BGE, nothing all that different from any other hobbies or gear acquisitions.

Man, glad I got mine from Orchard Supply Hardware for $350.

Allowed me to get all obsessed with upgrades like computer controller, custom racks and grates, and Smoke Daddy.

Ugh, I really want to have one month of not being sick, I haven't BBQ'd since MOA3.  

Although if I had the room on my balcony, I'd sooooo have a small Traeger as well.  Just too damned convenient, got one helluva smoke ring on those butts at MOA3!!!

Edited by Edwood

Also, BGE is not as durable as the Keg.  Not to mention a LOT heavier.  If you don't plan on moving it around, then it shouldn't be a concern.  FYI, the Keg weigh in at around 100 lbs with the stand. 

The BGE has it's own retro look charm, while the Keg looks like a R2D2's Redneck Cousin.

• 2 months later...