Stax SR-507 investigation

spritzer

The WES is fully AC coupled so input, output and inter stage caps. Output caps should be avoided at all costs in amps like these since they do a lot of harm. That's why amps like the Egmont and SRX (ES-1/2) do sound quite good despite the often quite humble circuit design, only one set of inter stage caps. There is no way in hell though that a AC coupled amp will sound clearer than a DC coupled one. You can throw a ton of money at the caps but no cap at all will still win hands down.

The whole issue of "tube sound" is always a bit alarming to me as it so often based on an utter misunderstanding of how these things work. Take for instance a comparison between a SRM-007t and SRM-717, the tube amp will sound "tubey" by comparison but is that due to the tubes or how the output stage is designed? What would happen if we keep the plate resistors and construct and single ended SS output stage similar to the tubes? Same deal if we keep the tubes (ok use something better than 6CG7's though) and add a CCS instead of the resistors. Will this have the "tube sound"? I'm not saying that tubes don't matter but things aren't this clear cut... :)

I think all the parts are ready for a KGSS and it just needs to be assembled. Check with Justin though.

Edited by spritzer

The WES is fully AC coupled so input, output and inter stage caps....

eeeewwwwwwwwwww - thats like a cap every place where you could possibly have one.

I get you on the tube thing though - what I meant was a little bit of that fuzzy 2nd harmonic distortion to warm things up. Although after extending listening with the SRM323, I'm not sure this is necessary. It's a rather warm sounding amp. (I don't know if these transducers break-in or if I'm just getting used to the sound signature.) In the end, I'll probably prefer the sound signature of the O2 better based on my experience with them. The 323/507 is just to get my feet wet to make absolutely sure I want to go in this direction.

Will give Justin a call though.

I think BHSE wait time is drastically reduced in the latest batch.

Just put a deposit down for the BHSE. Justin says six months. I can wait nine. The deposit did care of of what I wanted to donate to the Japanese relief efforts, so that was nice of Justin (he's donating 10% of all purchases.)

@n3rding: my kids are going to hate you because I'm making them each pay a semester of college themselves. ;) You know it's all your fault. You just had to bring all your shit up here.

• 2 weeks later...

purrin you're moving quickly! I thought you'd take a pretty long time to move up the Stax ladder and you're already getting a bhse...

It was just a matter of finding what's "right" before totally committing. I listen the the 507s all the time now (I don't even touch my other cans), and I know the O2+BH is even more "right" than then 507s.

Edited by purrin
  • Like 1

HI guys, thinking of 507 and 323s combo but my dealer has the srm600 ltd hybrid bundled with 507 for a good price.

I am more of a solid state person as listening with the 02 + 007tII sounded a slight bit boring for me.

The 02 sounded more lively and has more presence when i tried it plugged into the 2170 basic amp :)

Anyone tried the 507 with srm600 and any comments--> as in how does 507 + srm600 vs 507 + 323s sound?

I guess the srm600 shld sound similar to 007tII as both are tube based.

Then next comes the question of solid state: 323s or 727?

What is the inherent problem of 727, seems there is some problem that ppl are moving away from it?

323s amp has to be ordered from abroad as no demo unit in my place.

As such i had to make inference from 2170 basic amp and general comments here.

Thanks for some useful input that can help me narrow down.

I see, thanks guys, nice input as so far, info or review for the srm600 ltd amp has been scarce on the net.

Was given an offer (almost similar price) for srm600(used 2 months, user found it not to his taste) or srm323s(new).

Which would be a better buy, gonna use it with 507.

Tube lovers would go with srm600, but if it's similar to 007tII with slight difference in small nuances soundwise, which would be a better buy.

I heard the O2MKII with both 007tII and the amp from basic 2170, and found 2170 amp could drive the O2 with more zest and dynamics, volume was loud at 2-3 oclock.

Similarly I found the 007tII amp maxxed out to just deliver the volume wanted and not even loud by any means. Detail was good, smooth, a bit laid back but less dynamic and less exciting i would say.

i even stuff the 2170 earspeakers(basic one) into the 007tii amp to crosscheck and found that 007tii sound sig is like that, wont catch u that instant but would probably grow on u kinda signature.

Maybe it was the genre i was listening to eg vocals/jazz, rock/pop, new age, no classical though. I had higher expectations of 007tii looking at the price margin between them is big.

So that's why i'm undecided if i should get the srm600 even though pricewise it may sound good but soundwise IMHO i may veer towards solid state more as I enjoyed even the basic 2170 amp more than 007tii amp? Something wrong with me or what?? I went in thinking that I would like the 007tii much more than a much cheaper 2170 amp. But long term i supposed the tube sound wont fatigue as much especially when using the Stax for background music listening while at some important task eg reading news, typing in this blog :)

Of all the stax SS energizer inventory, spritzer mentioned 323 is the best? May i ask in what sense eg dynamics, detail, 400V swing??

The 727 has a bigger 450V swing, but has some problem mentioned some time ago, may i know how come this SS amp was not favoured by many?

Sorry ya bros, need to lay down dough to buy a setup soon, your input is greatly appreciated.

I just came from the stax dealer and tried the 507 with the SRM-600/limited edition, honestly I didn't spot any evident difference.

Tried with the 007 too, there were some differences but the SRM-600 would work just fine and save you some dollars.

How did u like the sound of 507 with srm600?

What was the difference u heard between the srm600 amp vs 007tii amp?

Looking at the retail price of these two, i supposed they may sound more similar than different. Thanks.

Since you are already leaning away from STAX's tube implementations, just get the SRM323->SR507 combo. I know I'm happy with it.

Good thoughts purrin, how do u find the sound sig of d 323s?

U tried the 007tii with your 507 before or are u a SS guy?

I may be buying 323s blind ya, hoping it will sound even better than 2170 amp which is good value actually for the price.