Stax SR-507 investigation

spritzer

I built the hybrid version. TBH, It's still pretty good. It's just that it is not as good as the KGSS. For one, Bass is more present on the KGSS. I like that better. I also felt that the KGSS is able to render complex passages better. I can't detect any distortions (like clipping) in those passages on the KGSS, but sometimes on the exstata it's there and it's more noticeable when I have the volume at 12 O'clock. The distortions I've experienced does not limit to clipping though, I also felt that amp could not keep the volume on a constant volume during certain passages, as if the volume would vary ever so slightly. Both of these things occurs really rarely, but it bugs me when I notice it. If you really want to build one, just don't go all out like you normally do. :D

I've never heard the 407 before. I do have a pair of 404s sitting around, but I'm not brave enough to do a driver swap with my 507. From what I read it is very similar to the 507s though, but I think that the weak seal with the default pads (compared to the 507) would mean that the bass would not be as good as the 507s.

• 3 months later...

I've found this thread very useful especially the construction pics and comments earlier.

I have a set of SR404 and some ancient Lambda Sigs (that need a resto badly) and have been contemplating adding another set of cans, and looking at the 507 as the prime contender. Unfortunately I can't stretch to the 007 which is really what I want.

I've put my hand up for a set of KGSSHV boards and my own tube based driver is apart again whilst I try some changes and wait for the IXYS CCSs to arrive.

You can't really go wrong with the 507 unless you are easily annoyed by bright transducers. There are also some comfort issues with my rather large head so I'd take a SR-404 frame/earpads over the 507 setup any day.

STAX have been consistently the most comfortable cans for me, so I dout the 507 will be different.

Potential for brighness is noted, so I'll try to have a listen to some locally as subjective descriptions vary so much between individuals, that the 'brightness' might/might not be an issue for me personally.

Cheers

You can't really go wrong with the 507 unless you are easily annoyed by bright transducers. There are also some comfort issues with my rather large head so I'd take a SR-404 frame/earpads over the 507 setup any day.

Strange that I didn't find the 507 bright driven by the sr-007IIt even with the more forward sound but I did find the O2 bright with strong sibilance specially on s's.

Strange that I didn't find the 507 bright driven by the sr-007IIt even with the more forward sound but I did find the O2 bright with strong sibilance specially on s's.

What do I know, but I can't imagine the O2 being at all sibilant. I would think the upstream equipment the culprit. Or the source being reproduced a bit too accurately for its own good.

Most Stax are indeed very comfy but the 507 isn't one of them. The earpads are too small and the arc is just uncomfortable despite being enormous...

As for being bright, the Sr-007 Mk2 SZ3 sounds nothing like the Mk1 and they are even annoyingly forward with my NOS dac.

Most Stax are indeed very comfy but the 507 isn't one of them. The earpads are too small and the arc is just uncomfortable despite being enormous...

Agreed - the SR-507 aren't comfortable, unfortunately. They sound fine for their price, but not as good as some of the more expensive headphones. I like the slightly more expensive HE-6 better than the SR-507 in terms of both comfort and sound.

New stickers and cryo FTW!!!! <_< The SR-SC1 does sound lovely and very different from the old 404 so they may commission Stax to do something special for them but at a price....

Anything that mentions cryo in the blurb I avoid as the BS smell lingers long after the product is unwrapped.

Good info, thanks :) The build is bone stock aside from a few Takman and Kiwame resistors. You won't be the first person who hasn't been crazy about the eXstata. I remember reading some other middling impressions.

The Exstata hybrid I built is alright. I like it better than the 313 I have. I've re-capped a SRM1-mkII as well.

The Exstata midrange is a bit recessed, but it does kill the "etch". Not too bad of a sound. The sr-313 with 404's and to some

extent with 202's is a bit bright, and the "etch" is more pronounced. The re-capped srm1-MKII sounds good all around. The midrange

is back, and the sound is good. The 313 is the loser here, with the srm-1 with 202's or the Exstata with the 404's both

sounding different, but good. I really need to weed out some stuff and build a KGSS.

Overall, a set of 202's with an updated srm-1 MKII would be a very good starting point without breaking the bank.

The SRM-1 before the cap update left something to be desired. The sound was very rolled off and a bit lifeless.

The re-capped srm1-MKII sounds good all around. The midrange

is back, and the sound is good.

The SRM-1 before the cap update left something to be desired. The sound was very rolled off and a bit lifeless.

What cap updates did you do?

What cap updates did you do?

Replaced the electrolytics. They tend to be the 1st thing to age in an amp. Higher ESR and drifting values are the result.

The elder Stax gurus talk about it. I tried it. It works. They speak the truth!

Edited by ktm

Replaced the electrolytics. They tend to be the 1st thing to age in an amp. Higher ESR and drifting values are the result.

The elder Stax gurus talk about it. I tried it. It works. They speak the truth!

Cool, I thought as much.

Mine lost Pro bias yesterday, and I haven't been bothered to fix it yet, but I'd planned to replace all of the electros anyway as they are factory original, and I bought the unit new in 85 or 86. Full refurb time I think, but the bench is already full of partly completed electroniics projects.

Airbow has released two new headphones based on the SR-407 and SR-507, named SR-SC11 and SR-SC21

http://blog.ippinkan.../20110620120051

Maybe they just designed nice new stickers for them?

Google Translation...

Japanese to English translation

I tried to listen ~ ~

Each model was based on looks, STAX SR-407, SR-507 is very similar, the content is a different thing entirely.

Below are details of the audition!

Listening environment

Player

AIRBOW SINGING BOX3

Amp

AIRBOW SRM-253 (with AIRBOW PAC-253)

Ear Speaker

AIRBOW SR-SC11

AIRBOW SR-SC21

STAX SR-407

STAX SR-507

Listen, respectively.

Song is

Chihiro Onitsuka ... Moonlight (album ver)

Maaya Sakamoto ... Breaking the Waves

Beatmania Ⅱ DX ... 'Tues scorpion' Piano Concerto No. 1

Enya ... ANYWHERE IS

I noticed a little later, I asked the attack is the music. . .

First, SR-407 from

Previous SR-respond better than the 404, is impressive to us promptly in response to sound intensity.

Sound somewhat the impression that I specialize in mid-high range.

However, the impression is light overall sound quality.

Then SR -507

SR-507 is a new model came out in numbers.

Among the 009,007 A following the STAX, high-quality models.

Very well balanced sound, the feeling is that in a short period and increased representation of the entire force.

Wider quality range than the SR-407, widely played hear.

Then SR-SC11

From the base model is not considered overwhelming massive bass, and presence of sound.

I feel the strength and experience a natural illusion that is very close to vocal singing.

The high growth area as it is the overwhelming power of expression to give ear speaker.

Finally, SR-SC21

You become speechless. Moment, SR-more powerful SC11, I feel that there is massive.

However, the growth of mid-high balance of the entire sense of reality. In all its different dimensions,

Its expressive power is about a year to forget the speakers.

SR-SC11 and is different again, the fine of expression, expressive grandeur, just "ear speakers" is.

I also have an SR-SC1, once a year and would not miss the future speaker,

AIRBOW SR-SR or listen to on the SC11-SC21, Please consider.

Ear speaker and is sure to meet one-dimensional difference!

☆ AIRBOW SR-SC11, SR-SC21 is a peak at our shop your Photo Album No. 1! !

SR-SC NEW

>> SR-SC11, SR-SC21 who are looking for here! !

Note ※, and ordered released on July.

AIRBOW Related Articles

New headphones start lending AIRBOW - July 20, 2011

The staff report is a training seminar Matsuyama superb audio Restaurant (3) - July 13, 2011

Information about the Exhibition Hall No. 1 speaker from the shop! - July 04, 2011

The staff report is a training seminar Matsuyama superb audio Restaurant (2) - June 29, 2011

Esoteric "UX-1" Information about the great deals out in translation (13) - June 23, 2011

Audio Articles

New headphones start lending AIRBOW - July 20, 2011

Information about the Exhibition Hall No. 1 speaker from the shop! (2) - July 18, 2011

We start today's sale rack is always very popular! - July 16, 2011

Speaker Dock Compatible iPhone / iPod favorite type of Lady Kitty ♪! - July 12, 2011

Final stock Thorens TD190-2/TP19! ! - July 11, 2011

Trackback URL for this article

← Snufkin Quotations.

Better yet experience, please come and experience the board AIRBOW float well! →

Subscribe to all posts in RSS

HI-END SHOW 2010 SPRING

>> More videos

Latest Post

And the supreme masterpiece of UD7006/Special

Avocado growing - Women's News Department (161)

B. AIR RELEASE brass protector!

ESOTERIC "P-03" Information about the great deals out in translation (16)

New loans start AIRBOW headphones

What? Now in stock The Maidstone! Recommended Used (51)

Information about the Exhibition Hall No. 1 speaker from the shop! (2)

Men to enter the kitchen! - Women's News Department (160)

We start today's sale rack is always very popular!

Summer, and the outburst of cricket chirping and the sound of wind chimes, the sound of House gem!

Calendar

Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat Sun Jun 2011

»Mon July« 5

ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE

6 7 8 9 10 11 12

13 14 15 16 17 18 19

20 21 22 23 24 25 26

27 28 29 30

Fixed page

Store Information

Live House gem

Exhibit List

Introduction of Staff

FAQ

Category

AIRBOW [RSS]

BAIR [RSS]

Hall of tile engraving gems ☆ wada e [RSS]

PC Audio [RSS]

Others (Hobbies) [RSS]

Events [RSS]

Audio [RSS]

Setting [RSS]

Test Report [RSS]

Home Theater [RSS]

Products & B Used Class [RSS]

Today's blog [RSS]

Commercial equipment & musical instruments [RSS]

Unchiku president [RSS]

NEWS gem Hall [RSS]

FF all the women's school? Final Fantasy XIII

Flickr Flickr images

tube53limpm5004spcd2300sparb WFB0125-1arb-WFB0125-11.jpgQUADRALQUADRALQUADRALQUADRALQUADRALQUADRALQUADRALP1020070P1020068

• 1 month later...

Yes, I did take the stator coating into account. I think the stator is made of a drilled steel sheet with powder coating as insulation. My measurement might not be 100% accurate, but I would say that the diaphragm to stator distance should be between 0.35-0.4 mm.

If you look at the photo of the stator closely, you will find that the stator surface isn't smooth. There are very small, micro spacers all over the surface. I think that Stax purposely makes that so that the diaphragm will have no chance of touching the stators. What do you think, Spritzer?

Wachara C.