NIN Pretty Hate Machine (remix/remaster)

deepak

I'm sure this isn't news to the majority of you since the announcement has been up a while. But Trent Reznor is remixing/remastering Pretty Hate Machine and it is due out in November. One bonus track that is a cover of a Queen song. And new artwork.

"I’m happy to finally announce the re-issue of the first Nine Inch Nails record “Pretty Hate Machine,” releasing worldwide 11/22. UMe and Bicycle Music Group managed to locate the original mixes, so I went in the studio with Tom Baker and remastered it for a greatly improved sonic experience. In addition, Rob reinterpreted Gary Talpas’ original cover to make for a fresh new package.

It’s been an interesting trip watching the fate of this record float from one set of hands to another (a long and depressing story) but it’s finally wound up in friendly territory, allowing us to polish it up a bit and present it to you now. We had fun revisiting this old friend, hope you enjoy.

TR"

Also this is second hand knowledge- the same people that put together the Ghosts I-IV packages are doing the 10th anniversary of The Fragile which is supposed to be out this year as well. This is the one I'm excited for, hopefully an ultra deluxe edition similar to the Ghosts one!

I love both those records, so both are very good news. It would be too much to ask for high res recordings? The Queen song is probably "Get Down Make Love". I distinctly remember going to his first concert (opening act for Jesus & Mary Chain, whom we walked out on) with Richard Patrick (now, Filter) on guitar, and thinking (even discussing) that we hoped he'd do a cover, it'd be wonderful to hear his take on someone else's music, and being pleased as punch with the result. I don't remember if he did any other covers that night, but that's the one that stood out, that was the good one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What?!?!? Considering Pretty Hate Machine came out only a month after their second album, L'Eau Rouge, I really don't see how you can say that.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I love The Young Gods. Very innovative. I met them, and treasure my signed copy of a promo cassette they gave me. Have you heard Everybody Knows yet? They've really gone off in a different direction lately. Well, not as different as Heaven Deconstruction or Music for Artificial Clouds, but still...a long way off from T.V. Sky or Only Heaven...but I digress...

• 2 weeks later...

been listening to the CD today. really great sound! I haven't done a TVT shootout yet but going from memory I'd say the new remaster is superior. it's definitely louder but still sounds dynamic. great punchy bass, trents vocals are very warts and all clear, plenty of space in the soundstage for all the cool effects.

gets my seal of approval. pretty cool packaging as well. looking forward to the vinyl of this.

Ugh. Are you saying it's brickwalled, deepack? I hate that.

Late to the party, but IIRC, Get Down Make Love was a B-side on one of the early NIN 12"s. I have it on vinyl ...somewhere. I got it when I was in highschool.

I haven't seen a wav form, but to my ears it is definitely not brickwalled. it might not be as dynamic as the original but to these ears it still has some dynamics. the tradeoff of enhanced clarity and pace for less dynamics is worth it for me.

I respect deepaks opinion, ymmv, etc.

No definitely not brick walled, but does have a significant amount of compression compared to the original. Also it might just be peak limited and may not go into clipping.

I don't really get the waveform dusty posted. Here is one that might be a bit more clear. Remaster top, original CD bottom (Head Like a Hole)

prettyhatemachine.png

hlahorig.png

Edited by deepak

There was an online stream place I posted in the big music thread. I compared about 20 seconds of music between the old one and the new one and decided I already have the superior version. The new one had far more grain to my ears.

Someone posted wave forms on Hoffman and assuming they were not doctored it was brickwalled to comical levels.

:/

I really do like the new remaster, but the lack of dynamics really bothers me. I'm doing a shootout now on the Maggies, and at ~ 1:12 when Head Like a Hole goes from the "quieter" part to loud its virtually non existent on the remaster. On the TVT I nearly lunged for my volume control to turn it down quickly.

Edited by deepak
lied about posting clips too lazy

Okey doke, put on the TVT and it settled me down a bit. more dynamic then the new one for sure, and the deep bass, particularly on Down in It, is fuller and has more fullness and oomph to it. and while the TVT is not as murky as I remember it, the remaster is still less murky, and I feel like trent's vocals are clearer.

I dunno, with this kind of electronic music, sometimes I like the midbass and highs to really leap out at me, it's a pleasant coloration I guess. and as far as loudness goes, the remaster is a far cry from say, the remastering on New Order's "Singles" double disc, which is really fracking loud and brickwalled.

hard for me to say now which version I ultimately like better. more listening.

You know, you don't have to pick a favorite -- I actually think I like your assessment, acknowledging the strengths of both mixes.

What probably happened is that he had more overhead in the mixing stage, so everything didn't get all crosstalky and "murky", but still compressed everything ultimately.

I'll probably end up getting the new one, and listening to it more in the car, where flatter dynamics is actually a positive.