Beer brewing kit for X-mas present advice

boomana

So, I thought my Christmas shopping was done, but turns out my brother already owns the first thing I bought for him. I now want to get him a basic, all-inclusive, beginner brewing kit, and I've been looking around, mostly at Amazon, but I obviously have no clue what's decent or not. I'm fine with anything in $200 range or under. Any ideas?

Okay, I just went on beer depot's website, and what they have seems to be for more serious brewers, not for someone that's never brewed anything and may not like it, even if I think he might. I know it's not up to the standards of you guys, but I'm really looking for a basic kit that's not total crap and will give him a taste of whether or not he wants to get into home brewing.

Mr. Beer is the big name in home brew kits, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best first choice -- I've even seen these at Total Wine. So confirmation from someone who knows better would be nice.

My dad has a Mr. Beer kit. The brews tasted pretty nasty after the normal aging time, but the best Pils I have ever had was from that kit with serious aging time behind it. Very simple too.

The brews tasted pretty nasty after the normal aging time, but the best Pils I have ever had was from that kit with serious aging time behind it.

I understand your words, but not their meaning. Are you saying that the kit produces nasty tasting brews or that he would need to age things longer than usual to make them not nasty, and what does "serious aging time" mean?

The only beer that is at all memorable for me was the first my dad ever brewed. I think the rest were decent but forgettable, but I really don't recall that well. The Pilsner, like pretty much every pilsner I have had, was nasty after the recommended period of aging. We had about 6 bottles, and my dad and I split one after the recommended time was up and ended up pouring most of it out. We pretty much forgot about it and left it in a dark closet where the live yeast in the bottles kept working, and tried one every few months. After 6 months or so, it was actually good, which is a first for both my father and I regarding Pilsners.

I understand your words, but not their meaning. Are you saying that the kit produces nasty tasting brews or that he would need to age things longer than usual to make them not nasty, and what does "serious aging time" mean?

translated:

its easy to use, but dont follow the instructions given with the kit. leave the beer longer to ferment than what is recommended and it will taste better

If he already has a turkey fryer, or some big stock pot, this kit: Midwest Supplies - Brewing Basics Equipment Kit Midwest Supplies

Plus this ingredient kit: Midwest Supplies - Excelsior Altbier w/ German Ale Wyeast Activator 1007

He'll still need bottles, tho. It's kinda expensive to get started if you don't find someone getting out of the game.

Should anyone else read this later and think "Hey, I like that idea too", my local homebrewery has a few decent kits, as well. I started with the deluxe, and it works a treat. Requires a large stock pot, though, as Dan pointed out. You can pick one up yourself, but unless you find something clever they're going to run about $70-$90.