Atlanta Area Head-Casers needed for Apoxna 2011

MexicanDragon

Hey guys,

I've been contacted by the President of the Audio-Video Club of Atlanta seeking area "Can Heads" to get involved with the show, which is April 14-17, 2011. Fitz, tomb, Tom_Hankins, Purk... You guys get in touch with me if interested and I'll let you know who to talk to to find out more. Is there anyone else around who may be interested? Trav?

http://www.axpona.com/

I hope to find out soon if maybe there would be some need/desire for some MOTs there as well.

If anyone knows of a HF'er who's local who isn't on HC, let me know that as well, thanks.

**BRENT**

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I've gotten word that the producer of AXPONA, Steve Davis, has set aside a large exhibit area in one of the ballrooms at AXPONA for headphone enthusiasts to set up systems to display our hobby. This area will be free to us. Please contact Steve at 1-877-246-3892 or [email protected].

Is there anyone here interested?

**BRENT**

Hey Brent, saw your post over at HF. Not sure I can swing the trip (I've already scheduled 4 trips for this year, May through July) and I'm still really iffy on the event. If the HC-ers you mentioned decide to show up though (specifically Fitz & Purk, since Tom Hankins will probably be there), that'd definitely tip the scales for me - otherwise I probably won't bother.

If I did go, I probably wouldn't have any gear to contribute either.

Edited by Asr

Hey Brent, saw your post over at HF. Not sure I can swing the trip (I've already scheduled 4 trips for this year, May through July) and I'm still really iffy on the event. If the HC-ers you mentioned decide to show up though (specifically Fitz & Purk, since Tom Hankins will probably be there), that'd definitely tip the scales for me - otherwise I probably won't bother.

If I did go, I probably wouldn't have any gear to contribute either.

I am pretty sure Purk will be there to check the show out, but have no idea if he will setup any gear. I have my room reserved at the Hotel for fri/sat night and plan to spend time listening those days and sunday.

• 1 month later...

Show was not very crowded and the rooms (across the board) all were sounding very good. Quite the treat. IMO the two best rooms by far were the single driver Voxativ Ampeggio. Not only the best room but the best speaker I have heard...To my ears perfect. Pure music, uncolored, bone crushing dynamics, and as clean and clear as any I have ever heard, yet 100% musical. Fast and sweet, presence up the kazoo, destroy what I have at home, just the best I have ever heard. Using an old Lector CDP and a 4 wpc amp that runs $3k, the best listening sessions i have ever had. Dragged purk and his wife straight there and went back myself at least 8-10 times so far. If the timing were better i would have tried to find a way to buy them.

A close second was the YG Acoustic room. The reference were great, but the little carmel two way floorstanders were just as impressive, but without the lowest octave. When we head down today my wife is going to make an offer on them. She really connected with the YG's. more so then anything i have seen her listen to. hopefully they will be staying with us. Also bought a BAT REX amp to go with my REX preamp. I'm happy as hell about that but if I hadnt got it I might have been able to pick up the Ampeggio speakers.

The Highwater Sound room was the other room that was at another level. Horning speakers and int. amp with tron phonostage. This guy always gets his rooms right.

Others i liked were the Joesph Audio/Channel D room, the Oracle room with the big red speakers (cant remember the brand) and two budget rooms that shinned were the MF/Wharefdale room and the Supravxo/triode corp. rooms. Both rooms showed complete systems that were at or under $5K total that really rocked. Glad it was slow because i really got to spend alot of time listening to all the rooms and visiting with people and making some new friends. (with brief stops to run up to my room and check in on Hockey ;) I'm sure purk will chime in some too today.

I'll post on the REX amp elsewhere and do some comparisons with it and my VTLs. Also post some pics and let you know if my wife buys the YG Carmels.

One more thing if your in the NY area try and go check out the Voxitiv speakers. I think they are at Audio Arts, one astor place NY.

Heres some info on them

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=862

GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by tom_hankins

Tom thanks for the report, next time I'm in NYC I'm going to check those out.

Odd on the YG as last year at RMAF they sounded god awful in three separate rooms, glad you liked them I'll have to give them a second shot. It takes multiple shows to get the room right so hopefully the show stays in Atlanta in future years.

Tom thanks for the report, next time I'm in NYC I'm going to check those out.

Odd on the YG as last year at RMAF they sounded god awful in three separate rooms, glad you liked them I'll have to give them a second shot. It takes multiple shows to get the room right so hopefully the show stays in Atlanta in future years.

The YGs hit me pretty much the same way the stereophile reviewer reported in the link a couple posts above. I know we spent well over an hour in the room in one listen yesterday. (big and small speakers) and around forty minutes after the show closed friday listening to the small carmels.

I think the show is in NYC next year. My wife loves NY so we are going to go and take a few extra days.

Check out the link in post 7 of this thread. His impressions of the room are right on. Holy shit moments followed by giggling like a school girl. Bought the carmels they had there. With purk hooking them and the new amp up now.

Very cool, I'd love to hear those sometime

Show was not very crowded and the rooms (across the board) all were sounding very good. Quite the treat. IMO the two best rooms by far were the single driver Voxativ Ampeggio. Not only the best room but the best speaker I have heard...To my ears perfect. Pure music, uncolored, bone crushing dynamics, and as clean and clear as any I have ever heard, yet 100% musical. Fast and sweet, presence up the kazoo, destroy what I have at home, just the best I have ever heard. Using an old Lector CDP and a 4 wpc amp that runs $3k, the best listening sessions i have ever had. Dragged purk and his wife straight there and went back myself at least 8-10 times so far. If the timing were better i would have tried to find a way to buy them.

A close second was the YG Acoustic room. The reference were great, but the little carmel two way floorstanders were just as impressive, but without the lowest octave. When we head down today my wife is going to make an offer on them. She really connected with the YG's. more so then anything i have seen her listen to. hopefully they will be staying with us. Also bought a BAT REX amp to go with my REX preamp. I'm happy as hell about that but if I hadnt got it I might have been able to pick up the Ampeggio speakers.

The Highwater Sound room was the other room that was at another level. Horning speakers and int. amp with tron phonostage. This guy always gets his rooms right.

Others i liked were the Joesph Audio/Channel D room, the Oracle room with the big red speakers (cant remember the brand) and two budget rooms that shinned were the MF/Wharefdale room and the Supravxo/triode corp. rooms. Both rooms showed complete systems that were at or under $5K total that really rocked. Glad it was slow because i really got to spend alot of time listening to all the rooms and visiting with people and making some new friends. (with brief stops to run up to my room and check in on Hockey ;) I'm sure purk will chime in some too today.

I'll post on the REX amp elsewhere and do some comparisons with it and my VTLs. Also post some pics and let you know if my wife buys the YG Carmels.

One more thing if your in the NY area try and go check out the Voxitiv speakers. I think they are at Audio Arts, one astor place NY.

Heres some info on them

http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=862

GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to Tom and his wife, Lyra, for taking my wife and I to listen to the the Ampeggio speakers. To our ears, they were the best speakers that we listened on the show or at any where else. They managed to do this with just minimal electronic in comparison to other big names mfgs. No SACD/DVD/high res non-sense here, the Ampeggio just produced beautiful music from just redbook materials. Really, this thing just sounds real to my ears. Their imaging, clarity, naturalness of tones, and the resolving abilities were outstanding. Of course, the only problem is the price tag. At 27K, anyone with that kind of speaker budget should seriously consider them. My wife who has better ears than I do, also think the same way. IMO, the Amgeggio just sounds more real and have better resolving power than the 45K mbl 101E with over 70K of electronic behind them. I was seriously impressed and returned for more auditioned b/f leaving event. Due to prior commitment, I was not able to attend the show on Sunday.

BTW, Moon-audio was also there showing off his new line of speakers. They sounded good but he probably face some serious competition at that price point. Smyth Realizer was there as well, and his surround demonstration was just out of this world. I hope their products are more affordable so I can own one.

It was a great show and I wish everyone was here to enjoy them. I didn't talk to Fitz, but I hope he did attend and enjoy the event as well.

Edited by purk

Check out the link in post 7 of this thread. His impressions of the room are right on. Holy shit moments followed by giggling like a school girl. Bought the carmels they had there. With purk hooking them and the new amp up now.

Tom congrats on the Carmels , I'd love to hear your in home impressions in a few weeks.