Empirical Audio USB Off-Ramp Turbo 2

deepak

Nope, Empirical Audio isn't async... yet. They're planning to provide async converters sometime this year though.

If they were async I'd seriously consider getting a set. They have the hardware, but its the firmware that's the hard part. Chances are they'll license the async firmware from Wavelength Audio.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I wouldn't buy the Empirical Audio stuff. All he's doing is using a standard USB receiver with proper electrical termination. That was a rarity four years ago, but now everyone is doing it. You'll get exactly the same thing in a HagUSB, for $99 or whatever that sells for now.

The guys who've written their own asynchronous USB stacks are worth paying extra money for though.

I was still under the impression that few do spdif termination correctly, even now. I would agree that Empirical products aren't what I would call a good value :eek:

A the end of '05 I almost sent my Benchmark DAC1 to Steve for the full meal deal, was going to be a $4.5k $1k dac... just feels wrong... got a Pass D1 instead and never looked back. I'm with monseigneur Nugent on jitter being a bastard but his products are certainly not the only way to deal with it...