The Great Dac search

granodemostasa

You're by far not the only one, I watched him BS the heck out of one guy at the meet who basically demanded to get his amp back (after about 6mo for an upgrade). I've heard of other such stories. He certainly is good at creating demand, not so good at customer service.

Wow... That is not good. :(

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So many of the manufacturers at head-fi these days, even if they can make a good/great product, lack the resources and organisation to support them properly. This damages the entire market IMO, making customers more and more wary of even the more established makers.

Agreed.

i saw at least 8 boxes of new extreme amps for sale... but he can't make an update? I'll agree, while i don't like headroom's products (just yet), i do love the way they do business. right now, i certainly wouldn't buy anything from SP, no matter how much i may want to.

someone here should check out the Bel Canto dac-3, that thing is pretty good... i didn't hear anything remarkable from the Transporter.

i saw at least 8 boxes of new extreme amps for sale... but he can't make an update? I'll agree, while i don't like headroom's products (just yet), i do love the way they do business. right now, i certainly wouldn't buy anything from SP, no matter how much i may want to.

I keep wanting to buy an extreme with two headphone jacks and two inputs so that two people can listen to Grados at the same time, but I'm continually turned off by the ridiculous wait times. Its not so much that I would mind waiting, but I would mind having to constantly call and pester and be bullshitted to.

this is why i'm buying a used MPX3, instead of a new one (well, that and the fact that i'm saving a lot of money).

I bought my ppx3 used, but its harder to find a used singlepower with the features I want. i'm just going to buy two b52s, one for the tt and one for the cdp. ;)

No way. Proprietary inputs? Crap... :P

Don't quite understand why.

Okay, nevermind. They just want more of your money.

Their transport does the upsampling before the DAC section. And it's something ridiculous like 5.8 MHz.

So the transport does play a part in the sound.

At least with the EMM Labs DCC2, you can use any transport.

5.6448 MHz I was off :P

http://www.emmlabs.com/html/audio/cdsd/cdsd.html

They're doing something right the Emm combo sounds pretty good. The San Fran/Berkeley people can back that up too.

Yeah, it basically upsamples to 2xDSD. And it does, in fact, sound incredible. However, I find myself leaning toward the Esoteric side of things, because I find their players to be incredibly resolving and transparent, while the EMM Lab stuff leans ever slightly toward the euphonic. Of course it's not like I can afford either the DCC2 or the P-03/D-03 combo.

Yeah, it basically upsamples to 2xDSD. And it does, in fact, sound incredible. However, I find myself leaning toward the Esoteric side of things, because I find their players to be incredibly resolving and transparent, while the EMM Lab stuff leans ever slightly toward the euphonic. Of course it's not like I can afford either the DCC2 or the P-03/D-03 combo.

Yeah the fact that the CDSD not only upsamples that high but also converts PCM to DSD is pretty interesting for a non SACD player.

http://www.msbtech.com/

http://www.sound4sale.com/products/nelson.php

^^ It looks like they have a wide variety of nice products covering just about spot along the price spectrum. CD players. Transports. Customizeable DACs starting from $500 on up through $7000+ monsters!

Does anyone know or have any experience with them or any of their products?

Yeah, I'm a big fan -- I own two (sort of -- one was home-modified by its previous owner, and currently is not working). I've only heard their entry level DAC (the Link DAC III), but I'm very fond of it. Combination of the Rega Planet or the X-RAYv3 as a transport was excellent, so it's not as good about jitter rejection as they claim (I.E. it prefers a low-jitter transport as a source).

Justin also owns (or owned) an older Platinum. I'll let him give his opinions, though. My opinions of it at a few meets was that it was excellent, but that's all I remember -- I don't remember if it fell in the "smoov" camp or in the accurate camp. IIRC, it had just a nice straightforward no-muss-no-fuss type of delivery.

Yeah, I'm a big fan -- I own two (sort of -- one was home-modified by its previous owner, and currently is not working). I've only heard their entry level DAC (the Link DAC III), but I'm very fond of it. Combination of the Rega Planet or the X-RAYv3 as a transport was excellent, so it's not as good about jitter rejection as they claim (I.E. it prefers a low-jitter transport as a source).

Justin also owns (or owned) an older Platinum. I'll let him give his opinions, though. My opinions of it at a few meets was that it was excellent, but that's all I remember -- I don't remember if it fell in the "smoov" camp or in the accurate camp. IIRC, it had just a nice straightforward no-muss-no-fuss type of delivery.

Among other things, I was halfway giving that Nelson DAC of theirs a look. I see that there's also some additions you can add to that base unit if you want, although it's not 100 percent clear to me which, if any of those, are already included in the Nelson.

Seems pretty reasonably priced across the boards over there.

http://www.msbtech.com/

Does anyone know or have any experience with them or any of their products?

Heard the MSB Link II (I think it was a II) way back at my first ever Headfi meet. I was pretty indifferent towards it, I just remember a certain dumbass named Trevor who would not shut the fuck up. I felt like pushing him down the stairs at the end of the meet. I think Biggie might remember that dickhead.