The Great Dac search

granodemostasa

Unless you want to end up spending your life's earnings on cable voodoo, I wouldn't be too concerned with the effect of a common nickel-plated connector. You could always just get XLR-RCA cables that need no adapter. This is what I did when I had the Lavry (of course I made them), but that way you can have any ol' connectors you want. Neutrik Profi RCA and silver-plated XLR for me! :D

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unless you want to end up spending your life's earnings on cable voodoo, I wouldn't be too concerned with the effect of a common nickel-plated connector. You could always just get XLR-RCA cables that need no adapter. This is what I did when I had the Lavry (of course I made them), but that way you can have any ol' connectors you want. Neutrik Profi RCA and silver-plated XLR for me! :D

I'm gonna go down the street to rat shack and take whatever they got. and, after spending all that time and $ on finding the UR8, i'm not ready to throw them out yet in favor of some XLR-RCA cables.

And here I always thought that was a pocketknife. But now that I look at it more closely, I can see that it's a closeup of a nib...and that's pretty much all I can see. Well, I can see that it's at least partially made out of gold...or gold-plated...

Goddamnit!

guys i'm listening to this thing... the Dac-1 may be better than people often give it credit for. yes, it's edgy, it is bright, it has a lean bass.. but, it is getting all the details and cues right, better than i've heard them before, and it's sure got a nice soundstage... maybe more open than that of the lavry's.

Personally, I'd give up some details and soundstage to have more pleasing warm musicality. I guess not only would I, I did. :)

well... looks like i didn't get that apogee, after all. >:( >:(>:( >:(

in any case, a person who is building a diy dac from scratch asked me to recommend a dac in the 1K price range that has the best "voice." well i really couldn't think of any model 1K dac, they all have their good things and bad things about them. at the end i sorta ended up saying "modded dac 60 with detail and treble energy" would be a good 1K dac, and pointed to the lavry as another one.

what dacs would you say have the best "voice"? and btw: what does to voice a dac mean.. isn't this a component that shouldn't have a voice?

go for it! go for it! go for it! :laugh::dance::laugh:;) ;)

I had to work this out in my head to convince myself not to:

The benefits of source upgrades in my experience has been in improving imaging, spacial cues and soundstage mainly (aside from DAC house sounds). I'd want a balls to the wall speaker set to take advantage of the Emm gear, not a pair of headphones.

It will be sold before the evil side of the brain gets a chance to kick in.

I had to work this out in my head to convince myself not to:

The benefits of source upgrades in my experience has been in improving imaging, spacial cues and soundstage mainly (aside from DAC house sounds). I'd want a balls to the wall speaker set to take advantage of the Emm gear, not a pair of headphones.

It will be sold before the evil side of the brain gets a chance to kick in.

i know of at least two headphone rigs that start with EMM sources.... come one.. join the group of elite head-fiers :dance:

i know of at least two headphone rigs that start with EMM sources.... come one.. join the group of elite head-fiers :dance:

Yes but I assume both of them have a steady income :P

I'm living on savings (excluding rent) until I start my residency, which is still going to be shit pay long hours.