The Great Dac search

granodemostasa

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well according to my sources (not Tyll >:D) the timeline to bring these two products to market is not long. I wish I could share more but I lack the proper clearance and don't want to spoil the fun that will be Saturday's unveiling. And like I said, if you listen closely to the podcast (Tyll's part is early ) you'll get an idea of what's going on.

There's this and did I read correctly somewhere that Justin/Headamp is considering a DAC as well?

Well according to my sources (not Tyll >:D) the timeline to bring these two products to market is not long. I wish I could share more but I lack the proper clearance and don't want to spoil the fun that will be Saturday's unveiling. And like I said, if you listen closely to the podcast (Tyll's part is early ) you'll get an idea of what's going on.

I really hope that they are making the electronics modular like the amps. That way, we can make another convertible! >:D.

I wonder if they'll have anything 300B related as well? New mobile line? Wheatfield thingymbob? Sorry I can't be there...

i've not had the DA100 and the monarchy in the same room. the monarchy was Icarium's and the DA100 is Jocelyn's, both are local head-fiers. I possibly could have the match, Icarium lets me, at my table at head-fest.

but honestly... that qualia was too amazing, it might turn my head away from dacs for a while.

There might be something in the single-ended realm coming down the pipe worth considering. I figure most people won't get what they're hearing when they listen to the Head-Fi podcast so I'll sneak it in here. Headroom went ahead and made a standalone DAC, actually they made two. This should all be confirmed with the unveiling of the prototypes at the National Meet this weekend.

Here's hoping you getting one, Nate. >:D

That way, I'll be able to listen to it at a next local meet. I've been thinking of going back to using a stand-alone DAC, but I've got bunch of SACD's I love that makes doing so bit difficult.

Here's hoping you getting one, Nate. >:D

Not gonna happen, unless I get one for my work rig which is highly unlikely.

That way, I'll be able to listen to it at a next local meet. I've been thinking of going back to using a stand-alone DAC, but I've got bunch of SACD's I love that makes doing so bit difficult.

I should have a new DAC by the next Boston meet assuming it doesn't happen in the next 4 months. All I can say is that it'll be DIY, balanced and, well, evil.

So I suppose people can add the Ultra Micro DAC to their list now. Small, cute, and supposedly the same electronics as a Max DAC (might even be slightly updated for all I know).

I believe that it is the MAX Dac minus the upsampling, but I'm not 100% sure either. And I also think that the new standard Micro DAC has better electronics in it (Home equivalent?).

I believe that it is the MAX Dac minus the upsampling, but I'm not 100% sure either. And I also think that the new standard Micro DAC has better electronics in it (Home equivalent?).

Considering that they are calling the new standard AC Micro DAC 'equivalent electronics to the Home DAC', and the only real difference between the Home and Max is the upsampling chip, I'm not sure what else there is to differentiate them.

I also misread the new portable Micro Amp. As far as I now understand, this is battery powered, rechargeable (?), and includes the circuitry of both the amp and a standard Micro DAC. I think...

It's a shame that the maunfacturers who where exhibing new products didn't publish a breakdown on what they were showing so that other head-fi'ers (i.e. the vast majority of the coummnity) could know what was going on there. Most of the questions in the meet thread are very specific and are asking for clarification about the slew of new products where it isn't quite clear exactly what they are.

Considering that they are calling the new standard AC Micro DAC 'equivalent electronics to the Home DAC', and the only real difference between the Home and Max is the upsampling chip, I'm not sure what else there is to differentiate them.

Like I said, I'm not sure exactly what is in each box. I'm sure we'll be finding out relatively soon in the form of a sponsored thread "over there". I think that I saw in someone's pictures that Headroom did have product literature at each display.

What I want to know... is anything about this 'evil' DAC you are cooking up. >:D

It's going to be a little while before any details come out. It's #1 on my priority list but I don't have all the necessary parts yet and it's not clear when they'll all be in.

As far as rushing new products to market because of National Meet pressure, well I think man'f do this at their own risk. They're all well aware of the dangers of bringing a half-cooked product out and how strongly the Head-Fi reaction can be. It's funny that people bitch and moan about how Headroom does business but in my view they're the only ones with more than a 3 month outlook when it comes to their product line, marketing, etc. Ray creates his own obsolescence by having three portables in the same price category and having virtually no amps in the $500 to $1000 category that aren't way out of date, Mikhail instead of finding ways to keep up with already high demand fractures the product line further and makes things even more confusing. When was the last time he updated his website?:( I think Headamp also does a pretty good job of product distribution and information but I think he's ultimately limited by being a one man show. I do give him full marks for developing his own modules now and branching out from the Gilmore name (not that there was anything wrong with that). And I think Meier is reaping what he sows right now by having outsourced all of his new production to China, someone is going to have to explain the sense in that to me. Sure it results in lower prices but the end result looks shockingly similar to the stuff that's both designed and produced in China, the fact that Jan designs it and then sends it to someone else to build doesn't hold much appeal for me. [/rant]

As far as rushing new products to market because of National Meet pressure, well I think man'f do this at their own risk. They're all well aware of the dangers of bringing a half-cooked product out and how strongly the Head-Fi reaction can be. It's funny that people bitch and moan about how Headroom does business but in my view they're the only ones with more than a 3 month outlook when it comes to their product line, marketing, etc.

I agree. They seem to be about as close to "on top of their game" as you could hope for.

Ray creates his own obsolescence by having three portables in the same price category and having virtually no amps in the $500 to $1000 category that aren't way out of date,

No comment. ;)

Mikhail instead of finding ways to keep up with already high demand fractures the product line further and makes things even more confusing. When was the last time he updated his website?:( I think Headamp also does a pretty good job of product distribution and information but I think he's ultimately limited by being a one man show. I do give him full marks for developing his own modules now and branching out from the Gilmore name (not that there was anything wrong with that).

I think these two pretty much walk on water for the most part, but they need to maybe bribe some friends or folks to keep their websites updated for all the obvious reasons. I'm glad Mikhail decided dip his toe into solid state. That rounds out his product line for the most part. A little something for everyone, as it were. ;)

Justin continues to kick ass in pretty much every direction you'd want as far as I'm concerned. :)

It's a glowing testament to both of them that the only real "complaints" anyone comes up with are "need to update your websites a lot more often."

It's certainly in their best interest to do so since I think HeadAmp and SinglePower pretty much lead the pack, along with Headroom. :)

Was Drew from Moon Audio at this thing, btw? I felt like I saw a few stray mentions of him. What'd he bring out? Drew is another one that's at the top of his game IMO. :)

And I think Meier is reaping what he sows right now by having outsourced all of his new production to China, someone is going to have to explain the sense in that to me. Sure it results in lower prices but the end result looks shockingly similar to the stuff that's both designed and produced in China, the fact that Jan designs it and then sends it to someone else to build doesn't hold much appeal for me. [/rant]

Definitely agreed on this point, and not confined to this specific venue, either. I think there may come a time where he rues the day he did that, but then again, considering how popular Zhalous and Ipods are on HeadFi right now...maybe he knows something we don't? ;)

Great post! I've been eagerly awaiting to see the posts show up on this forum that "cut to the chase", as it were. I've been eagerly awaiting the "uncensored and politically incorrect" HeadFi meet impressions and feedback. :)

Also thanks to Sloth for his impressions here and at Head-Fi. :)

It's a glowing testament to both of them that the only real "complaints" anyone comes up with are "need to update your websites a lot more often."

Have you ever dealt with sp? I payed 700 dollars to have my amp upgraded and haven't gotten after 4 months of waiting and lying, being told it will ship tomorrow 6 different times.

Have you ever dealt with sp? I payed 700 dollars to have my amp upgraded and haven't gotten after 4 months of waiting and lying, being told it will ship tomorrow 6 different times.

Perhaps it's time to call again. I'm actually baffled that you don't call him every single day.

Like I said, I'm not sure exactly what is in each box. I'm sure we'll be finding out relatively soon in the form of a sponsored thread "over there". I think that I saw in someone's pictures that Headroom did have product literature at each display.

Actually it turns out that what was on display are very much prototypes, and though the time from this stage to maket might be quite short, the exact feature set/electronics design is more late beta than final candidate, reading between the lines as it were.

And I was right that the new Micro Amp uses the same enclosure as the old Micro Amp but now contains the amp electronics and DAC electronics in that little package, as well as rechargeable lithium ion batteries. The Desktop Portable also now runs on lithium ions, so no more dangling 4xD cell brick, and I believe on top of the Home Module that was always available you can also get the Home DAC in it. With those upgraded specs and no dangling power supply, that will be a killer 'transportable'.

So good things are happening in the HeadRoom DAC/amp world.

Wow. You are literally the first person I've ever run across anywhere to express this kind of negativity towards SP.

Perhaps it's time to call again. I'm actually baffled that you don't call him every single day.

I can't really call him because he's at the meet. I tried but there was no answer.

Wow. You are literally the first person I've ever run across anywhere to express this kind of negativity towards SP.

You don't have to look very hard. I'm sure he means well, but he really needs to get his act together.

You don't have to look very hard. I'm sure he means well, but he really needs to get his act together.

You're by far not the only one, I watched him BS the heck out of one guy at the meet who basically demanded to get his amp back (after about 6mo for an upgrade). I've heard of other such stories. He certainly is good at creating demand, not so good at customer service.