Indoor Herb Gardens (random, I know)

Aura

So my girlfriend's birthday is coming up and I was going to get her some books and wine, but this past weekend while we were at the grocery store she specifically mentioned wanting an indoor herb garden. Now I'm barely capable of cooking for myself and quite honestly don't know shit about herbs, let alone herb gardens... but I was looking around and something like this seems to be pretty much what she is looking for. I'm a little concerned about this particular unit's noise and lighting, but otherwise it looks like a decent product.

Anyone used anything like this or have suggestions for alternatives? The extent of additional info I can provide on what she wants is that it needs to be good at growing basil, which she uses in a lot of her recipes (all of which I really enjoy). The AeroGarden units seem to do really really well with basil, so that's a plus.

Thanks folks.

Yeah that's a good idea Jacob. My only concern is getting them enough sunlight, since she's in an apartment. Can they just sit next to the window during the day?

As far as the effort goes, I know she'd have no problem keeping up with it.

I'm with Reks. My mother in-law got something similar to the Aerogarden, and she was good about maintaining it for a couple of months, and then it just went further and further to the back of her mind until the plants died, the whole thing started to smell, and she tossed it in the garage.

Pots and dirt are more intuitive with regard to watering and fertilizing, and if you need to supplement the light, full-spectrum grow lights are easy to acquire.

It's hard to make dirt and pots into a present. It's nice to get her something that she'll be happy with for a long time but more importantly, it's more important to get something she'll be happy with right now. What you suggested looks good and seems to work decently. She'll be happy that you put in the thought regardless of how it turns out in the long run. Just go with that.

Anne has grown basil on and off indoors in a pot and dirt. She's also had rosemary. And a bunch of veggies on the back porch. She and her friends discuss this a bit. We know people who have gardens on their garage rooftops.

I just asked her about this, and she says there's a pretty big movement for urban gardening. Try Googling 'Urban Gardening'.

She also says to tell you that the only plants I've ever taken an interest in are the ones I could eat. :)