Smallish amp for 22L2s

blessingx

Eyeing some Quad 22L2s to replace 12L-as. Really love actives as the less components the better in my book, but if going with an external amp (I haven't seen encouraging signs of ~$2K floorstanding actives) does anyone have a suggestion for a smallish unit that would power the 22L2s? Pretty out of my element with speakers. Was originally eyeing the Parasound Zamp v.3 as nearly everything else I have is half-rack, but if I'm not sure it will be up for the task from the numbers (if reading correctly). Even up for altering the speaker pick (Shelly's choice of RX6s is also tempting from reviews), but my limitation is they and the amp would be best if sold by Amazon (gift certs). Anyone with much more experience than I (would qualify about everyone) have any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Quads:

Frequency response: 30Hz – 28 kHz

Sensitivity: 89dB

Impedance: 6 Ohms

Dimensions (HxWxD): 33.46” x 8.07” x 10.94”

Ric, Don't know how quickly you are thinking of pulling the trigger , and what your combined budget is, but check out the the imminent launch of the ADM40 active floorstander from avi - hifi in the UK .

Sales blurb here

Lots of discussion here and here

The HDD forum has some quite interesting discussions with a bias towards active loudspeakers (since that's what they sell) and apple gear (as that's what the majority of their customers use / are pointed towards for an "it just works" experience)

Their director/salesman is an interesting chap, having been around a bit, and ex ATC

Thanks for the info guys.

Grahame, if I read that correctly they're coming in at $5K? If so it's way outside my budget, unfortunately. Would love an active (with analog inputs also) like this though.

Steve, how confident do you feel about the Z? I know Parasound is conservative with numbers, but I figure this is near the bottom of recommended.

Grahame, if I read that correctly they're coming in at $5K? If so it's way outside my budget, unfortunately. Would love an active (with analog inputs also) like this though

That sounds about right given current exchange rates. It wil be interesting to see if others follow their lead.

Grahame, if I read that correctly they're coming in at $5K? If so it's way outside my budget, unfortunately. Would love an active (with analog inputs also) like this though.

Steve, how confident do you feel about the Z? I know Parasound is conservative with numbers, but I figure this is near the bottom of recommended.

I had an earlier Zamp with less power, and I was pretty surprised at the power it had. It drove some 92dB two ways easily. But to be honest I don't ever listen at concert levels. No doubt that the 90-95 rated WPC of the units in mono would more than satisfy your needs, in the worst case scenario. But I imagine a single unit in stereo would do, if you're not into rattling the windows. Either way, still relatively good budget/performance factor. Plus they come up on ebay regularly.

The Zamp was also a badass K340 amp, didn't have the K1000 yet.