Philips Fidelio L1

The Monkey

The Sony MDR-Z7 is not cheap but it is very good from my humble point of view of course. To me it sounds a lot better than the more expensive Ultrasone Signature Pro for example, much better sub-bass response and liquid mids with not harsh treble.

However it seems like the earpads are not interchangeable, this not as good point...

Anyway let's see other users opinions from people who have tried them, not only a think... ;)

Getting pencils jabbed in your ears sounds better than the more expensive ultrasone signature pro, also.  Any other points of reference?

Well I think it is the first Sony headphone that I really like (note that I've not tried the crazy expensive R10) with a proper tonality, I mean not digitized like most of Sony headphones.

It reminds me to the Audeze LCD-2 on the bass performance, not as good as them but also with a great sub-bass and impact. 

Mids are similar to the Focal Spirit Classic, a touch warm but less "grainy" and treble extension is like you have from a very good open headphone, it never sound like a closed headphone in this section, maybe the little vents help on this.

So after a weekend of sporadic listening my initial impressions of the X2 are very positive. I'm keeping them.

The X2s feel like they are going to work perfect as my office headphone. They are replacing the closed Sennheiser Amperiors in that capacity.

Comfort is quite good, but I would still give the HD600s a slight edge in that category. With broken in pads the HD600s I have plugged in to my desktop computer at home just feel fantastic. I haven't weighed both pairs, but I would guess that the HD600s are the lighter headphone. I can feel a weight difference between the two. The X2s are the better looking headphone by a country mile.

I haven't done enough head-to-head listening to do much more than cursory sound comparisons between the two yet, but the X2s are clearly the livelier pair. My initial impression is that the frequency response of the X2s has a bit of a "U" shaped feel (slightly accentuated bass and treble) than the flatter feeling HD600s. The X2s still sound neutral, if slightly less so than the HD600s. I think I still prefer the HD600s, but the X2s are no slouch.

I'll weigh in again after I've had the X2s for a few weeks to give updated impressions.

and think the HD800, despite its troublesome nature, is one of the world's best headphones.

FTFY.  True dat, even if they sometimes are brighter than your shirts, they still don't scream as bad as the Sony MDR-SA5000's do.