Guitar-Case

VPI

I actually stumbled onto the Bruno stuff today while reading about the stang ray and z wreck.  Brad Paisley uses both.  
(I dont really listen to country but love the guitar parts.)

A z wreck, stang ray and cow tipper would have some redundant overlap in cleans I suppose, but that's my current idea of an ideal clean/fender setup (if money wasn't an issue).  And a friedman for the marshall stuff.  Of course I have to actually learn some songs again.  Many years ago I intended to get a carmen ghia, I like that some of these high end amps have similar simplicity in knobs.

Any amp that can be driven to overdrive with your hand alone, I'm a fan.  

Edited by aardvark baguette

To my ears, the sweetened turnings are really truly soured tunings. Most ive encountered have one string that is purposefully a few cents under, which to the ear makes it sound natural. On the ukulele, the tuning is GCEA, but the E is just ever so slightly under. I've found that the major third above the root tuning, my ear tends to prefer it to be slightly under, rather than slightly sharp which irritates me. 

Yeah that would be easy to do yourself, just using a digital tuner like an app. I aim for something around 3-5 cents under where it's barely under the threshold of hearing it, but it's there. Rather than the G above D, you can mess with the B above G - because G is going to be the native tuning and key of what I am sure is a good chunk of what you play, having the G slightly under might sound off, but the third above that, the B, just a little so under can make things sound more natural and rounder.

Nice!  Do you want to borrow some of mine?  You have to try several of my favourites.

Yeah, I tuned the lower 2/3 of the fretboard slightly sharp (my app -- -- has digital "needle" style tuners) -- just going visually, since I can never get it exactly right anyway -- and the top 2 strings slightly flat, just to play the easy minor E chord, and it's pretty friggin' sweet.  I'll try your way next.

The WEEDed BD-2 is pretty nice.

Also, what in tarnation is that round thing?

Round pedal is the original casing of the Bixonic Expandora pedal.  Billy Gibbons style.  
Haven't tried it yet, I think mine needs to be run via battery and I velcro'd over the bottom.

Yeah anytime.  I like trying different pairs for cascaded gain.  But my dirty playing really needs work.  
In high school my dirty playing was far better than clean, now its reversed.  My amp doesnt like to break up, I think all the gain is coming from pedals only.  But I really like good clean tones.
I need to get lower wattage amps down the road.

I found an amp that may give Friedman some competition.

Edited by aardvark baguette

Soon -- not this weekend, obviously.

Was moving a bunch of stuff into storage, passed my downstairs neighbor.  She asked me if I played guitar (I was holding a guitar box).  I replied in the affirmative.  She said she really liked it, it really mellowed her out, keep up the good work, and other, positive, affirming type things.

So...that was nice.  I mean, it's sort of bad that she can hear me at all -- I play kind of late, didn't realize she/they could hear me all that well -- but at least she doesn't hate it.  I'll make sure to watch my volume after hours.

I'm just practicing scales.  Which is funny, when I practiced piano as a kid (still living with my parents), whenever I practiced scales or arpeggios, my mother would ask me what piece that was -- I think she loved those the best.

Somehow got the reverb channel working on my twin.  
Maybe the footswitch had been hooked up to the speaker out jack by mistake before, not sure.  
Finally sounding the way it's supposed to after owning it for like 2 years.  Now I remember why I bought it.

This snakehead tele is the best electric guitar I've ever played.  
I've been practicing with it acoustically, in fact. 

il_340x270.508473113_9vus.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I've been GASsing for this:

But I really don't want to pay Private Stock prices -- I figured if I put the right pickups into my SC-J, I could get most of the way there.  I think I've settled on Fralins, but can't decide which ones.  Based entirely on videos, I really like his Sunbuckers:

...but he recommended the underwound P92s he has in his black strat (starts at 1:44):

...and I have to admit, I liked them, too, maybe in the neck position?

I actually have several cheap guitars that could use pickup upgrades, too, so I'm tempted to just get several and try different flavors.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...