Pre-Amp Suggestions

tkam

I'd like some recommendations for a pre-amp. Not really concerned if its tube or ss though I would prefer tube. Only real requirement is to keep it under $2k and it must have a remote volume control (remote source selection would be nice as well).

So far these two have caught my eye a bit: http://diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_basie.htm and amb's beta22 if I can find someone to build one for me :).

I'd like some recommendations for a pre-amp. Not really concerned if its tube or ss though I would prefer tube. Only real requirement is to keep it under $2k and it must have a remote volume control (remote source selection would be nice as well).

So far these two have caught my eye a bit: http://diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_basie.htm and amb's beta22 if I can find someone to build one for me :).

What's it driving?

regardless of how ripped i may get for this...

a used RSA stealth..

its a great sounding pre and if you pick one up for $1300-$1500 then you can always sell it back and not lose shit..

Even if it was any good in the first place, it would have a rolled off low end among other problems when driving Tkam's amps.

Actually no I really don't need much or any gain I suppose, thats part of the reason why the Dragon won't work very well, just way too much gain. I actually have been looking a few transformer volume control options but honestly I just don't know that much about them.

Actually no I really don't need much or any gain I suppose, thats part of the reason why the Dragon won't work very well, just way too much gain. I actually have been looking a few transformer volume control options but honestly I just don't know that much about them.

Well I'd recommend giving one a try on principle - I actually haven't heard one myself, yet, but intend to get one eventually as even with 1V sources I don't need any gain. It seems to me that if you don't need any gain, an autoformer is a relatively ideal way of controlling the volume without adversely effecting impedance relationships in the way that a passive pot or SA will. If their build quality is up to standard, ASL make a nice looking remote controlled autoformer preamp.

If you could live without a remote volume control (I know...), I'd also recommend you try the monolithic sound PA-1, which works as a passive pot up to the middle of its range (0dB) at which point it couples the original signal with up to 6dB of gain as you turn the pot further up. Very flexible for the times that you might need a little gain, and relatively inexpensive.

• 2 weeks later...