I want to play a game

postjack

You've lived your whole life as an audiophile experiencing the natural goodness tubes bring to headphone amplification. While others sought refuge in new technologies, in solid state design, you were content to relish in the warmth of heated glass, ignoring any design that did not implement your selfish, no, sinful obsession, with hot, glowing metal through sometimes tinted glass. But what will you do when all the NOS tubes are gone? What will you do when Sovtek 6sn7s go for $750 a pair?

Today, this is a lesson you must learn. Look around you. All around this room are popular solid state amp designs in the $1000 dollar or less range, maybe a bit more if you can stretch the wallet. They are all attached to quality mid-fi sources with copies of the MFSL Ryan Adams "Heartbreaker" SACD inside them. The Grado RS-1s stapled to your head cannot be removed. If you cannot choose a solid state amp that at least approaches the warmth, impact, and smooth clarity of your coveted tubes both drivers will explode, and you will never be able to hear again.

You have one hour. Or there will be blood.

250px-Billyposter.JPG

I would slap myself for being so shortsided and not hoarding the tubes I enjoyed the best in my amp.

Biggie.

Not an option!! You are in a room, yet another victim of one of Jigsaw's devious plots to teach those who don't appreciate what they have a lesson. >:D

My favourite non-tube amp is the Creek OBH-11SE -- I've heard that the current version is as good (21SE?). I also liked the Singlepower, though I'm not sure it's actually shipping yet (other than the one).

I would also consider buying a Musical Fidelity A3.2 (or A3^CR in a pinch), and connecting an RCA-to-1/4" jack converter, as I've heard that particular combination, and it was sweet. Is that in the room? Or am I doomed to death by brain compression? I've seen that in a movie once, it's not a pretty sight.

And oh yeah -- what's wrong with just trying to find the best current-production tubes? Some of them are not so bad. Ei Elite gold pins...Mullard reissues...

Remember, all you need to do is add a bunch of 2nd harmonic distortion to any solidstate amp and it'll sound just like a tube amp.

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that...

You mean the amp experts on Head-fi are lying to me? Those bastards, they ought to be sodomized with a cattle prod. >:(

It's hard to sodomize a swarm.

I doubt the amp experts on Head-Fi lied to you -- but there are only a couple of those. Other people pretending to be amp experts may be lying to you, but I suspect they just don't know better.

There should be an entry on that list for a "Regurgitator".

Coffee hurts when it comes out your nose. :(
Sorry about that.

Here's my single-ended short SS list:

>:D dynahi & EC/SS >:D

I've not heard the new EC/SS, but really liked the previous one each time using a different opamp. If I can only pick one it would be the dynahi. :-*

Breaking character from Jigsaw a moment:

No manufacturer really makes a dynahi anymore though, right? Strictly a DIY thing?

And isn't a GS-1 essentially a dynalo? I've been making extensive use of the search engine over at HF and reading a lot of posts to try to learn about the whole dynaXX thing. I like the idea of an amp design that has been well proven by time.

I'm not really in the market for a new amp, but the driver explosion on the RS-1 freaked me out a tad, so I'm just fishing for information & opinions, exploring all my options.

Breaking character from Jigsaw a moment:

No manufacturer really makes a dynahi anymore though, right? Strictly a DIY thing?

And isn't a GS-1 essentially a dynalo? I've been making extensive use of the search engine over at HF and reading a lot of posts to try to learn about the whole dynaXX thing. I like the idea of an amp design that has been well proven by time.

I'm not really in the market for a new amp, but the driver explosion on the RS-1 freaked me out a tad, so I'm just fishing for information & opinions, exploring all my options.

>:D >:D>:D >:D>:D Fuck you, stay in character or die playing your sick twisted little bitchy game by the rules, mother fucker! :mikey1:

OK--hell just froze over... :angel:

You're correct the dynahi isn't in current production. It's either a DIY or find one used. I believe the GS-1 is somewhat similar to the dynalo. IMO, having heard both the GS-1 and dynahi they don't sound the same. Additionally it comes down to personal preference as to which you might like and system synergy plays a factor too. Yet to my ear (and not hearing them back-to-back) the dynahi had a bit more dynamics and tube like warmth.

I take it you've never seen any of the Saw movies, then? He's asking for the most tube-like solid-state amplification, in an entertainingly roundabout manner.

no I never did, knew I was missing something and it was mostly from a movie i seemed to missed.

thansk for the X-plain.