Darth Beyers

PFKMan23

I owned stock dt770/80's briefly. Too much of a "V" spike in the sound for my tastes. I bought it specifically for listening to hip-hop, but the lack of mids ruined it for this purpose. Nice bass, high highs, just no midrange at all to speak of.

I could only guess that a recable and the addition of wood could have some sonic benefits, maybe, but not enough to fully correct this can's flaws. Larry only claims to be an artist, and his work is beautiful, IMO. I hope to one day own some kind of headphile woody, but purely for the cosmetics.

I'm a Beyer fan, and first of all, I disagree with the lack of midrange comment. Recessed, yes; "none to speak of", no. Maybe after you've been numbed to midrange by Grado headphones shoving it in your face all the time...

Secondly, in answer to the original question -- no, I've not heard them, but I don't understand the appeal, and am not at all drooling to try them, though in all fairness, I should still hear a pair. The DT770's are fine for what they are, I'd be surprised if the changes really rendered an overall improvement.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, I'm skeptical. I suspect it's a flavor-of-the-month thing again, over there.

If you dress up a turd, its still a turd. Don't beleive the hype.

Biggie.

I concur. They look nice and all, but that Beyer sound is just not for me at all. Last time I spoke with Larry he agreed with my review that the sound is nothing to brag about, but people like to buy them, so why not

I've always been put off by the cost of entry with Larry's woody stuff, not that it isn't great looking. But even with the Grados unless you're really after one-off headphones it would seem that you'd be better off just buying a pair of used RS-2s. The Senn Woody's never made a damn bit of sense to me.

I've always been put off by the cost of entry with Larry's woody stuff, not that it isn't great looking. But even with the Grados unless you're really after one-off headphones it would seem that you'd be better off just buying a pair of used RS-2s. The Senn Woody's never made a damn bit of sense to me.

I agree that Senns and wood don't seem to mix. Especially frightening are those big mondo closed wood blocks he offers for them. Weird.

If you dress up a turd, its still a turd. Don't beleive the hype.

Biggie.

That's my thinking.

I owned a DT770/80 and its only appeal was for movies. Seeing how closed Darth's add even more bass it seems all its fans that post about them are serious bass heads.

Not to mention that Headphile keeps coming out with newer versions, I don't think resale is all that great on the older ones.