Everybody is getting new sources (new DAC)

deepak

Northstar M192 DAC O0 (thanks Reks)

northstar1.jpg

northstar4.jpg

Neat optical illusion. the faceplate is not wavy aluminum like it looks from the front.

northstar2.jpg

Back:

northstar3.jpg

Certainly a dynamite looking product.

just some chicken scratch (upsampling turned on at all times, will mess around with it later), all testing was done switching back and forth.

Started off with some John Zorn's Electric Masada and then some early King Crimson and Tool. I think the Lavry is still a very dynamic DAC, but the Northstar takes it to a whole different level. Loud sounds are huge, dynamic shifts (both macro and micro) sound incredibly lifelike. Dire Strait's Brothers In Arms/Communique (both WG Target discs) is sublime. I've only been using the HP-2 so far but I'm itching to take out the K1000 and the Star Wars soundtracks.

Female vocals - Jane Monheit is my latest obsession, she has such a sexy voice. I use the track Honeysuckle Rose to really hear her voice and it has some nice piano and double bass to go with it. Eargasms, breath of life whatever you want to call it it's there (which leads me to believe the M192 has more midrange detail, but more on that with more listening), the piano and double bass carry more weight and have their own space.

Isis - Wrists of Kings - the opening drum hits... this is what the HP-2 is about. More forward sound of the Lavry gives the illusion that it's more exciting, but dynamics hit home with the M192.

Tan Dun/ Yo-Yo Ma - Night Fight (Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon OST) - drum hits much, much harder. Attack is very snappy.

Rage Against the Machine - The Battle for Mexico City (live) - more of that PRaT goodness. basslines/drums continue to impress. I always thought Tim's bass guitar was mixed a little lower than the rest of the instruments/vocals, nope. There has to be more midrange detail, on Bulls on Parade when Morello is doing that funky thing with his guitar you can hear it echo off, as well as some of the feedback/HF distortion from the amp; all these details are present on the Lavry but it sounds more natural on the M192. If you like RatM pretty much a must have recording/DVD.

Necronomicon - Tips Zum Selbstmord (crazy drugged out German krautrock guitar meltdown, let's just say I'd own a tube if only to listen to this album over and over. Haven't heard electric guitar like this on solid state) - there's this weird guy singing in gibberish at the beginning and you can actually hear his voice echo as if it's bouncing off some walls. Bass lines more palpable.

The Northstar has more air and space to breath in the midrange and higher registers. The Northstar is a tiny bit more laid back (like comparing the HP-2 with an RS-1 but not as extreme), but I still find the Lavry is incredibly fatigue free to listen to (I've spent many long sessions with it). The midrange isn't completely neutral, if the Lavry is considered neutral. The upper bass is also a tiny bit more pronounced on the Northstar. Very smooth sounding piece I like.

Also the Northstar outputs a louder than my Lavry @ 25, so I did my best to volume match the Lavry. The higher output on the Northstar is slightly annoying since I have to use my HP-2 at 8 o'clock for most recordings (on the Melos) instead of 10 or 11. Like the Lavry the M192 can playback 24/96 needle drops. Soundstage and imaging are up next, I'd like to hear more classical and jazz. But already this is making me want to relisten to my entire music collection.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

woot, grats man.

but hey, get that mmf-5 up and running. it don't even NEED a dac! ;)

Man I know :(

I need to put together my Bugle and remount the cart. But every time I have a stretch of free time I leave the house. The TT thing is going to take a while to get setup right.

And here, we see the trickle down theory of economics in effect... :P

The only way is to buy used :D

I look forward to spending many more hours with it. I played a few poor recordings (Blackfield, Neal Morse) and the M192 is just as unforgiving as the DA10 :'(

But I'm really enjoying the good stuff, DCC classics, newer Hoffman, first edition CDs, needle drops all sound so good. Still haven't got around to listening to the K1000, the HP-2 boogey factor is stealing all my time.

Did you really think Blackfield was that bad of a recording? I didn't think it was that bad.

I mentioned this on the SH forums but I hear distortion on the drums and cymbal hits. It's really bad on My Gift of Silence and Where Is My Love.

I think I finally have my head wrapped around this DAC.

left/right headstage is a bit smaller than the DA10. But it has much more depth, making it sound more like the recording is all around you. Imaging is also just as good as the Lavry, but it feels like instruments have more space to breath (albeit small on the HP-2).

Side note I'm very happy with the Joe Grado Ultra-Wide Bandwidth Reference cables between the DAC and amp. At the price I got them for I'm very pleased with how they compare to my DIY Kimber TCSS.

Well, I'm happy to report that one half of my source upgrade is now complete.

What started life as this:

78799740.jpg

78799743.jpg

Is now this!

78799747.jpg

78799749.jpg

78800087.jpg

78799753.jpg

78799759.jpg

This all started when I discovered that I knew the owner of HifiDIY through my Millett Hybrid PCB connections. I ordered up a kit and after dealing with the pain that was customs losing a bunch of parts the transport was completed about an hour ago and is now confirmed as working. It's a bummer that for whatever reason it is not compatible with the Denon DAC that I have on loan from Ian but it works just dandy with my HT receiver so I don't think there's a problem with the transport. I'll take some pron shots later with the top cover off if I can stand the idea of taking it apart again. And I'll also be posting a build diary at some point in the DIY forum for anyone interested. Please excuse me, I really must get to work on my DAC! >:D