The Americans

HiWire

I'm obviously late to the show, but the first episodes have been fantastic so far. I'm disappointed that they only released the first season in Blu-ray... if I like it enough, I'll have to settle for DVDs of seasons two to five.

The retro '80s soundtrack is great and they've done a good job with historical detail so far. The plot has some gigantic plausibility holes, but it holds together from a dramatic standpoint (i.e., a "realistic" espionage show would be incredibly slow, boring, and basically unwatchable).

87476_front.jpg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, robm321 said:

I've struggled to like this one as much as everyone who recommended it to me. I enjoyed it, but I gave up after the fourth season. 

That said, I started watching season 5 and realized I missed some of the characters. I like it but want to like it more. 

This. Almost exactly.

• 5 months later...

Just watched the series finale and it's about as good as it gets!

Anything I could say is a spoiler so I will just say that the final season was absolutely awesome!

I'd say that the ending is right up there with the way that "Boardwalk Empire" and "6 Feet Under" wrapped things up.

So, if you lost interest somewhere along the way, give it another chance (I thought that there were some weak spots along the way).

And careful, after a glance around the web, the critics are falling all over themselves handing out Emmy's and spoilers.

Congrats to Dreamworks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1