Clone your own Bada PH12!

aerius

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no, he is aerius's father. when Roam first joined head-fi he was recommending a very expensive 300B design to me, but it was clear i did not have the funds to build such designs. on diyaudio there seems to be a general consensus that the ancient DHTs like 300B are matched or even beaten by the triode-strapped EL84, so i don't know if his claims are really true or not. one day i'll build a DHT-based headphone amp and see, but i do know other tube amp guys who all claim that the EL84 is as good as it gets.

on diyaudio there seems to be a general consensus that the ancient DHTs like 300B are matched or even beaten by the triode-strapped EL84, so i don't know if his claims are really true or not. one day i'll build a DHT-based headphone amp and see, but i do know other tube amp guys who all claim that the EL84 is as good as it gets.

Pretty soon I'll be able to find out first hand. I scored a couple used 2A3's at the surplus shop today ($3 each, bitch!) and I'm planning to build something with them this year. Also got a bunch of 6BQ5's, 12W6's, 0C3's, 0D3's and a big box of 6CM3 damper diodes. The GF is quite upset, but she'll get over it.

Pretty soon I'll be able to find out first hand. I scored a couple used 2A3's at the surplus shop today ($3 each, bitch!) and I'm planning to build something with them this year. Also got a bunch of 6BQ5's, 12W6's, 0C3's, 0D3's and a big box of 6CM3 damper diodes. The GF is quite upset, but she'll get over it.

only $3!? i'm jealous! what do you think about this circuit using the EL84 to drive the 2A3/45/300B:

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/xentar/1179/projects/legacy/Legacy300BAmplifier.gif

only $3!? i'm jealous! what do you think about this circuit using the EL84 to drive the 2A3/45/300B:

http://www.fortunecity.com/rivendell/xentar/1179/projects/legacy/Legacy300BAmplifier.gif

Looks good as far as I can tell, I don't see any issues with it. The power supply's going to be a shitload of fun though, and not in a good way.

Also, latest update on Art-tard.

gun.jpg

Art claims that he is a psychology professor and I've been told by my sources that he is purposefully trying to elicit a response from me and Earl as part of a psychology experiment. If we respond, then we fail the experiment.

You and spacecoyoyte have accepted the lies of SACDlover and Cotdt without question, thereby implying that I lied. We have not heard a word from SACDlover and Cotdt since I exposed their lies, but we continue tod hear from spacecoyote and you in agreeing with their lies and defending them, and being their spokesmen while they went in hiding.

Again I call on Cotdt to admit that he lied:

1. in saying he fixed SACDlover's amp when nothing was wrong with it and where he can't specifty exactly what was wrong so I can duplicate this condition to see if it does produce distorted sound and very low volume

2. in saying his amp from Pacificvalve was superior to SACDlover's Cattylink supplied amp when he said that his amp used silver litz wiring that no Doge amp uses, and when some Cattylink amps use Rubycon capacitors that are superior to those in Cotdt's amp

3. in saying SACDlover's tube sockets were glued in, when they are actually bolted in like all Doge amps (show us a pic, Cotdt, of the top of the amp showing no two bolts per each tube socket used).

4. In saying SACDlover's Cattylink amp used paper to insulate thin and brittle internal wires (show us a pic Cotdt) unlike his amp using quality wire and insulation.

btw just incredible, now i'm really tempted to respond. all 4 points he makes have already been refuted. does he really want me to respond to his ridiculous posts and reveal his dirty tricks, culminating in his ban on head-fi? i really do not wish to do this, but if his posts continue like this then looks like i will have to strike back and involve a moderator. i'll wait till Earl verfies that the amp works as proof that it was originally defective. it's amazing how bad of a salesman Art is, he doesn't even have a return policy and blames loose nuts on the shipping. When he can't blame things on the shipping anymore he calls his customers malicious liars. Earl lost a lot of money because of Art's defective amps and now all he does is accuse Earl of trying to destroy his "good reputation." I offered to fix and mod Earl's amp (for free, although I did end up getting a volume pot and a pair of tubes out of it), and when I stated the problems with the amp Art started attacking me as well. Supposedly, I am in a conspiracy with Earl in an attempt to destroy Art to set the stage for Singlepower to take over the world.

i am interested but the link is broken.

Hmm fortunatecity seems to have taken down Thorsten's site. Here is another link to the schematics:

http://www.wduk.worldomain.net/forum/showpost.php?s=1e1c7d3f7150cc75839463ccf24fc0cd&p=30393&postcount=225

For the 45, I would adjust the B+ voltage to 325V and the cathode resistor the 1.5k. Or you can build the 300B version and hear what a properly driven 300B sounds like.

I can only hope he comes over here so he tells us more. I doubt even the best solid state is doing the K1000 justice.

Yeah I agree tubes would be the ultimate combo with the K1000. Here is how Roam described his amp:

Transformer volume control to WE437A to interstage transformer to 300B to output transformer. Somewhat similar to this [link to Thorsten's 300B schematics], but the operating points and parts of the circuit are different. The interstage transformer is also switchable between 1:1 and 2:1.

Sound is the best I've ever heard, take all the strengths of a 300B and add speed, dynamics, and full frequency extension high & low. It's very vivid and alive sounding, that's probably the best way I can describe it.