the iPod as a reference source?

JBLoudG20

Are we talking iMod or iPod here? The thread is actually in regards to the iMod so I can't help but wonder if that poster mispoke. I haven't heard an iMod myself so I can't comment on how much better than a stock iPod it is but my feeling is a stock iPod is very good for its intended purpose which is a decent portable source. It's strength's are it's portability and that it's sins are mainly of omission not commission so it's reasonably enjoyable to listen to but as a reference I'm pretty sure my Philips DV642 bests it.

Well even the iMod... I very highly doubt it takes on $1k CD players. Nevermind how I think portable 'hi'-fi is a joke.

My MisterX XP amp is great.

I will not doubt portable amps after hearing this one, it was a very nice upgrade from the GoVibe5.

Well, I do agree the PINT I made with an 8397 sounded very good, I don't see the point of bringing it, and a line out cable with me while I listen on teh subway, or walking to work. Yeah, if I was bringing a portable setup to the library, I guess.. but I usually bring my portable setup to accompany what I'm doing, not to sit and critically listen. I'm more than happy with my er6i and zen vision:m to accompany my 6 hour commute.

Well, I do agree the PINT I made with an 8397 sounded very good, I don't see the point of bringing it, and a line out cable with me while I listen on teh subway, or walking to work. Yeah, if I was bringing a portable setup to the library, I guess.. but I usually bring my portable setup to accompany what I'm doing, not to sit and critically listen. I'm more than happy with my er6i and zen vision:m to accompany my 6 hour commute.

Good points.

My setup is more transportable where I will be using it for critical listening when I travel (hotel listening, where I can use a full size pair of headphones).

Then I can understand that, but I don't really understand when these guys walk around with thousand dollar rigs. I jsut don't see the point. The same goes for using portable gear as reference home gear. Portable devices make tradeoffs in design, that may not be needed for use in the home.

A lot of it is probably perception and needs. At this point I don't take my AE-2 out of the house but I prefer not to be tethered to one spot so with my iPod-->AE-2-->E500's I can have reasonably good sound anywhere in or outside the house. Are any of these components comparable to some of the other gear I've owned like the MiniMax CDP, HeadAmp GS-1 or even the Singlepower PPX3? No, but I was willing to make a trade off for portability (never mind that it was really necessity financially) but together this setup makes some very enjoyable music wherever I want to listen and when I add on a decent DAC to my DVD player and computer to the AE-2 and E500's I'll have a reasonably nice stationary setup as well although admittedly not at the level that some of you would find acceptable. ;)

Then I can understand that, but I don't really understand when these guys walk around with thousand dollar rigs. I jsut don't see the point. The same goes for using portable gear as reference home gear. Portable devices make tradeoffs in design, that may not be needed for use in the home.

As I noted above I prefer not to be tethered to a stationary rig at home if possible. Let me explain that a bit further, we're in a relatively small space, it was ok before we had our second child and I had a dedicated room for listening/computer use but now all that is in the living room so after I moved the system out of it's dedicated room when I wanted to listen I had to wait until there was no one else around, typically at night after everyone had gone to bed. Now though, I can listen just about anywhere, anytime without worries. Yes I trade off some sound quality but I'd much prefer that than to not be listening at all. Also, as I mentioned, I'll get another better source for more "stationary" listening but I still plan to use my AE-2 as an amplifier at least until finances permit the use of something else but part of the decision to buy the AE-2 in the first place was based on it's versatility.

I sold the "transportable" portion of my portable setup to fund upgrades to my home setup. I left myself with iems, i grados & a couple mp3 players for portable use. I hardly used my micro dac & hornet on the go. But I find myself missing those upgrades in some transportable situations - like while camping. I really enjoy just veging out in the hammock w/the micro dac, hornet & RS1's! So while they are not a priority to me, I'm slowly going to add back those pieces I miss but don't use so often. On the go I don't want to mess with the extra stuff but when I'm partially stationary I do miss the sound upgrades they allow. As for this "transportable" setup comparing to my home stuff - not even close. Its very good - but nowhere near a home amp & good source.

http://www.redwineaudio.com/iMod.html

Reading over the iMod page, it sounds like they're just removing the opamp and its supporting components, which likely are a filter, from the output of the iPod's DAC. This is just going to result in a lot of high frequency noise being present and then being further amplified by your headphone amp. Not a good thing...these are exactly the kind of mods done by people who don't know what they're doing or just looking to make a lot of $$$

Reading over the iMod page, it sounds like they're just removing the opamp and its supporting components, which likely are a filter, from the output of the iPod's DAC. This is just going to result in a lot of high frequency noise being present and then being further amplified by your headphone amp. Not a good thing...these are exactly the kind of mods done by people who don't know what they're doing or just looking to make a lot of $$$

Hah, aye.... :angel:

I still yearn for someone to take apart the ipod connector on one of ALO's cables so that I can see how he attaches 12ga wire (or whatever) to a 30ga pin.

I would have to assume he's cutting off all but 1 or 2 of the strands from the wire and soldering that, probably adding epoxy or glue so it doesnt fall apart