A close call...

JBLoudG20

So yesterday I get home from a long day at work. I eat my dinner then I go upstairs, and turn on my amp to warm up.

I boot my tower (transport), and after a little bit I cue up an album, put on my w100 and ...

nothing.

I play with some settings on my computer... nothing.

I try my 701...nothing

I tunr off my amp, reseat the tube.. nothing

I plug my CD player into my DAC, put in a disc...nothing

I try my reciever...nothing

I plug my amp directly into my DVD player's analog out... SOUND

As I'm moving gear around, I realize there is water on everything, and it was jsut POURING rain about an hour ago.

Pissed, I go downstairs: "mom did you have my window open"

Mom: "yes JBLoudG20, why what happened"

JBLoudG20: "My $500 DAC is dead"[me=JBLoudG20]goes back upstairs[/me]

I start pulling my gear off, and everyhting else is fine. The MSB Link has vent holes that form an 'MSB' in the top of the unit. As I take my dear (ok please keep in mind im not flossing liek the rest of you and my setup is on a tight budget) DAC out, I peer in to find about a 1/4" of water in there, and the PCB completely submerged.

I take it downstairs, put it on the kitchen table and begin dismantling. I wipe everything down, admire the DC servos on the output (damn its really a clean design, I should take some pictures), get out the hair dryer and blow on it for about a half an hour. I put it back together, and bring it back upstairs. I connect it to my receiver and...

It's all good. Whew tragedy avoided. I wasn't mad at my mom, it was just an accident, but it would have sucked.

End of story.

• 4 weeks later...