Another reminder to stay away from the Edition 9's...

philodox

Some ultrapriced headphones are like... luxury/lifestylish items. Wood and shiny metal added doesn't sound good. It satisfies the target audience (adult well off, mostly men's) appetite for pretty wood and shiny metal and big price tags.

Funny thing. The UE9 has neither. :P

Yay, an Edition 9 bashing thread, let me join in the fun ;D

I wanted to like these, I really did, but the mids are bit too far on the cold and sterile side. The HP1000 pulls off a cool-ish midrange quite nicely, but the Ed9 is no HP1000. The tone of the bass is unnatural and incapable of conveying texture. The soundstage is very closed-in and restricted, probably even more than some John Grados (RS1). Not a terrible sounding headphone overall, but IMO it's handily outperformed by the HD650, which can be had for $300 NEW, less than 1/3rd the cost of the Ed9. It's also outperformed by other headphones that come in well under the $1500 MSRP, including the JVC DX1000. Oh yeah, and the plastic headband looks like crap. The box is ok, but not super nice.

I didn't really go to town on these at head-fi, but I feel more comfortable doing so here :D

Damn...I feel right at home. I've been waiting for some bashing thread of the UE9 for awhile. They sound good for rock but nothing else really for me. Too much raving of the UE9 on headfi right now and this really make me sick. I agree complete with timbre and their strange's presentation as well as recessed midrange.