Woodworkers of Head Case unite!

swt61

Al thinks it's funny how much I love that tool. It's just fun to use, aside from making better pocket holes than my Kregg jig.

On 1/17/2024 at 12:08 PM, Grahame said:

^ is that  'shopped,  or is there really graffiti in your hood, @VPI

There's about as much chance that's real graffiti, as that opener being used on a bottle of Olympia beer.

• Haha 1

20240225_091844.jpg

20240225_091849.jpg

20240225_091852.jpg

20240225_091901.jpg

20240225_091918.jpg

To say that I'm happy with the finished product is an understatement. What I really want to do is keep these for myself and tell Al's Sisters in law that they were just too messed up 

Certainly the nicest Milo & Otis product to date IMO.

We're going to sneak these into their house and wait for them to discover tonight. 

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Went to an acquaintance who has like all the green tools and compared the ETS EC 150 to the regular one. Actually preferred the non EC and just picked it up in 3mm. Super annoying there isn’t a mesh/net disk assortment. Specifically having an issue with west system epoxy clogging up the regular paper backed disks and looking to try something new out.

It's the 3mm that confused me. That's a mighty small sander!

OK, after a little investigation I see that it comes in different stroke sizes, and 3mm is one of them. But yeah, I use the mesh disc on Al's often.

14 hours ago, Voltron said:

What do you mean there isn't an assortment? Festool has mesh discs called Granat Net in a range of grits. You need a special pad to affix them, but that is typical. Sorry if I'm missing your point.

There isn’t a multi grit option in smaller quantities - ya gotta pay $70 a box.

Edited by luvdunhill

I went team Head-Fi and found the cheapest thing that I am here to tell you is amazing. It seems to be good enough for my little project. I wish the holes lined up on the pad saver so dust extraction would be better though. Making a trailer storage solution for a sailboat using marine ply and epoxy.

IMG_3105.jpeg

IMG_3107.jpeg

IMG_3108.jpeg

IMG_3109.jpeg

IMG_3106.jpeg

• Like 1

I remember buying some of the first mesh style sanding disc at Woodcraft in Austin years back. It's so easy to keep unclogged, so it last a long time. The hard part is keeping the outer edges from fraying. 

Hopefully we'll see pics of your completed project Marc.

51 minutes ago, Voltron said:

Did you buy the festool adapter pad? I would think the holes would line up perfectly. Put the pad on without the mesh so you can see the holes lined up. Then put on the mesh disc..

Uh no. I see now. Sadly none at Woodcraft.

So it seems that the upcoming new regulations on all table saws (these will require safety systems like SawStop has on all future table saws), will be a little less problematic for other manufacturers. As SawStop, or Festool (the current owner of SawStop) will be voluntarily sharing their patent once the new regulations are imposed. I believe the patent ends in 2026 anyway, but many patent holders do everything possible to hold onto or extend their patents, so it's refreshing to see a manufacturer take this approach. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I do have a bit of concern on this technology, as it's my belief that people can become complacent and get careless because of a false sense of security. I have been using table saws from the age of 12 (51 years). Every time I'm operating a table saw I block out everything else and put my full attention into the use of said saw. I can't count the times I've ripped fellow employees a new asshole for carelessly knocking into me while I'm using this tool. Sometimes it seems that no matter where I set up the saw, some idiot will start hauling lumber, or moving tools, ladders etc. right in the path where I'm using my saw. Then they get a sore vagina when I jump their ass. And even as careful as I  have been through the years, I still managed to resize a finger. It's a very dangerous tool! And a collapsing blade system won't do a damn thing to keep someone from being gutted by kickback. I've been an audience to this more than once. Riving knives have dropped these incidents drastically, but carelessly binding a board between the fence and blade can still create a devastating situation. 

My point is the table saw still commands the utmost respect and complete attention, whether you have an electrically conductive blade system or not!

Edited by swt61
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, swt61 said:

I do have a bit of concern on this technology, as it's my belief that people can become complacent and get careless because of a false sense of security. I have been using table saws from the age of 12 (51 years). Every time I'm operating a table saw I block out everything else and put my full attention into the use of said saw

And yet, if you'd had that technology, you'd have 5% more finger than you currently do.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, swt61 said:

I do have a bit of concern on this technology, as it's my belief that people can become complacent and get careless because of a false sense of security.

I dunno, one time I saw you put the wood in the wrong direction. Just saying.

I found a 'new to me' woodworking channel on YouTube. It's a Norwegian guy that builds most of his projects out of Pine. Now projects from Pine don't really peak my interest, but it's difficult and very expensive to get other woods in Norway. Even Maple and Walnut are exorbitantly priced there.

He doesn't do a lot of voicing in his videos, which also doesn't really appeal to me. 

Most of his projects are pretty basic, though he does seem to have some skills. 

Actually I can't seem to pinpoint what it is I like about watching his channel?

maxresdefault.jpg

Meet Are Baloni.

• Like 1