Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?

Elephas

Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?  

1. 1. Which R10 should be recabled with a balanced cable?

• The one with less bass
    • The one with more bass
    • Either one would do
    • Two R10s? You must sell one to me cheap

Ask, no, demand Multifilament Nylon Techflex, not the craptastic standard PE Techflex. The only thing softer than the stock silk would be kevlar, but that stuff frays if you stare at it too long. Also, that bright yellow is not so fashion friendly.

Mikhail has a good deal experience recabling R10's. In fact he says he can preserve the stock cable and reverse the operation at a later point if need be.

-Ed

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, purk. I don't expect to receive the Supra XLR anytime soon. It's OK, I don't mind waiting.

I really like the feel and usage of the APureSound V3 cable. It is not too stiff, keeps its shape well without being difficult to handle, and is flexible and lightweight enough to keep out of the way.

The stock R10 cable has to be one of the softest, most flexible, and easiest to handle headphone cables. The stock L3000 cable isn't as easy to handle.

I don't recommend using the velcro-closure cord storage bag that comes with the L3000. The velcro can damage the cloth cover of the cable and cause fraying.

Unfortunately the R10's cable is merely a rubber tube with loose wires inside it. And the yoke where the two sides meet is secured inside with, get this, only zip ties. You would think with how overboard Sony went with the materials they could've spent a few cents on epoxy or a better solution. Either way, take care when rolling up the R10's cables. Notice how when you twist them, they kind of resist a bit in certain directions?

-Ed

Yeah, did yours come with foam cut-outs for each of the connectors?

I've decided to send an R10 to APureSound and have it recabled with the same balanced V3 cable with Furutech connectors. Can't have the Furutechs on the L3000 and not on the R10. Oh, man, the ol' wallet is taking a beating with all this recabling.

Ed, that's good info on the stock cable, thanks.

Yeah. I figured it was original packaging that AK[Zip] included. Or he made it himself just for the connectors which wouldn't surprise me either. Either way great packaging.

Yeah the connectors weren't cheap. It was a tough decision for me between those and the Xhadow. But I think I made the right choice.

Definitely can't have it on the L3000 and not the R10 :/

It was a tough choice. Silver plating over pure copper pins versus Rhodium over phosphor'd bronze. In the end I figured the Rhodium might matter more than the bronze and I think I was going to go with a solder connection rather than screws which [AK]Zip told me had to be removed or disabled to do soldering with the Xhadow. Screws I figured might gouge through the wire over time. Removing screws sounded like to solder we were somewhat leaving the designed usage... which in my mind means potential for unreliability....

Yes everything I said factored into the decision... but 90 percent of why I went Furutech? Because it's more expensive and I like wasting money. If I am getting ridiculously expensive connectors that probably won't even noticeably influence the sound... why not go all the way for like 40-50 bucks more. Plus Elephas was doing it too!