akg 701

Guest sacd lover

Guest sacd lover

How many of you have heard the new 701? I am liking this phone more and more. I think my beloved senn 600's could soon be #2. :-\ I cant get over how this headphone doesnt seem to have any noticeable flaws. Every phone I have heard to this point has had something I could identify as lacking. The 701 isnt an exciting phone but it just does everything well ..... and its so comfy.

What do you think?

See you in Cinci. ;)

• Like 2

I was not talking impact or such they just have a very emphasized bottom end... the 701s are a lot more balanced in the regard and do not sound muddy or bloated.

I think part of the problem is you are using HD650's unbalanced, and I'm going with a balanced HD650 sound, which IMO sounds a lot different.

Is that speaking of them balanced out of the SDS-XLR, or just out of any balanced amp? I remember them sounding a bit bloated running them single ended.

moreso the SDS-XLR (or Dynamight, although I like the SDS-XLR better), but other balanced amplifiers like the BlockHead and Balanced Reference aren't bad and control the headphone better. going single-ended to a BlockHead / Balanced Reference is a nice jump, and going from a balanced amp in their range to a SDS-XLR / Dynamight is another similar increase in performance, or perhaps more.

and for reference, driving HD650's out of a variable balanced line output straight from a DAC or other source is still around the performance level of driving them single-ended from what I've experienced. just so people don't confuse this with the single-ended versus balanced amp comparison I made above.

How many of you have heard the new 701? I am liking this phone more and more. I think my beloved senn 600's could soon be #2. :-\ I cant get over how this headphone doesnt seem to have any noticeable flaws. Every phone I have heard to this point has had something I could identify as lacking. The 701 isnt an exciting phone but it just does everything well ..... and its so comfy.

What do you think?

See you in Cinci. ;)

how do you find this headphone compared the the hp-series phones? The reason I ask is so that I can guage an idea on how they sound. I have not heard them myself.

I'm going to the Cinci meet on Saturday with very high expectations regarding the AKG 701. I like my current headphone options very much, so it is going to have to sound really special for me to jump. If it does, then I almost certainly will order a pair from Todd. I really like the 501s, so if the 701 cures their slight deficiencies, I'm in.

I like the comments I'm hearing. The Senn 650 were a little too bassy for me; the Ps-1s a bit more bassy.

My only question is if I will like them enough, as compared to the RS-1, SA5K, or CD3K, to justify another high end headphone.

And the fact that sacd lover likes them so much probably means they're not bright enough! ;D