What are my options for a really sweet single ended headphone amp?

deepak

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sound of a single ended transformer output tube amp, and cathode follower amps are very different.

Some like one version much more than the other. In either case you are probably going to have to find

someone that is willing to do it right. For the transformer version, absolutely the best iron you can find

coupled with a dht in to 30 to 40 watt range. Western electric 308's are absolutely the best at this, similar

to the nagra amp that uses these, way out of your price range. For the otl version you probably want

6c33's running at full power as cathode followers. (zana is NOT cathode follower). This is also probably

way out of your price range.

Audionote over Tamura/Tango?

Also I've been hearing good things about this Chinese brand Daburu that uses some sort of nano-amorphous core with 6N wire pulse transformers. I think the core will be something like cobalt alloy with 2 percent cobalt/78-80 percent nickel.

A revision on the ones mentioned in here: http://www.vt4c.com/teach_room/choose_transformer.html.

As you know I'm a big fan of the L3000's peculiar signature; I'm also a fan of pairing it up with an amp of similar sonic inclinations - that is warm, tubey, tons of bass impact. Call me crazy, but I've been preferring the HD650 & Qualia with the Zana, and the L3000 with the prototype SDS. The HD650 and Qualia can take on a whole new, gorgeously neutral character with the Zana, but the L3000 seems a little like its fighting its natural tendencies there. That's not to say it sounds mediocre on the Zana - in fact it sounds very, very good. It's just that when I'm slapping on the heavy metal or hard rock records, which typically means L3000, the music just flows a bit more naturally out of the SDS. Other music genres typically invoke HD650 or Qualia usage, so I'm not so familiar with how the L3000 pairing would go there. The SDS probably has an output impedance around 32 ohms and the Zana is around 16, so I personally wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on getting an amp with super low output impedance and the best technical specs.

Of course your tastes may well be different from mine - but for me, L3000 with a top-notch tubey sounding amp is bliss. I think purk agrees with me there - we had our first mini-meet when I had the L3000 and he had the only SDS; when we put 'em together we instantly knew that was a killer combo and it's stood the test of time over 2 years later (to be fair the Slam adaptors were a pretty necessary upgrade).

If you have the fund, I highly recommend the SDS. With all the tuberolling capabilities, the SDS can drive just about any headphone out there with surreal sense of power and refinement. Mike summed it up pretty well regarding the SDS and L3000.

As you know I'm a big fan of the L3000's peculiar signature; I'm also a fan of pairing it up with an amp of similar sonic inclinations - that is warm, tubey, tons of bass impact. Call me crazy, but I've been preferring the HD650 & Qualia with the Zana, and the L3000 with the prototype SDS. The HD650 and Qualia can take on a whole new, gorgeously neutral character with the Zana, but the L3000 seems a little like its fighting its natural tendencies there. That's not to say it sounds mediocre on the Zana - in fact it sounds very, very good. It's just that when I'm slapping on the heavy metal or hard rock records, which typically means L3000, the music just flows a bit more naturally out of the SDS. Other music genres typically invoke HD650 or Qualia usage, so I'm not so familiar with how the L3000 pairing would go there. The SDS probably has an output impedance around 32 ohms and the Zana is around 16, so I personally wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on getting an amp with super low output impedance and the best technical specs.

Of course your tastes may well be different from mine - but for me, L3000 with a top-notch tubey sounding amp is bliss. I think purk agrees with me there - we had our first mini-meet when I had the L3000 and he had the only SDS; when we put 'em together we instantly knew that was a killer combo and it's stood the test of time over 2 years later (to be fair the Slam adaptors were a pretty necessary upgrade).

Thanks for the thorough reply Mike. I'd definitely like to hear the SDS, as a Supra/SDS probably isn't out of my price range. Still I'm not sure if I'd like something that "tubey". I actually really liked the more "SS" sound of the Melos with tubes I had in it, just the soundstage was too small with any headphones.

@J-Pak:

Why don't you ask Craig to build you a single-ended version of his transformer-coupled HD2?

I'll shoot him an email eventually but I don't want to look like a tire kicker right now.

Unless you can talk him into ordering some Tango transformers it will never be as $$ as that particular HD2

Are you referring to jp# HD-2? IIRC in the meet thread he said he just bought an L3000, so I guess I'll send him a PM asking him how he likes it.

Thanks for info on the tranys.

what i was asking was what relevancy did buying a SP new, or not, have to the sound? maybe i misunderstood who you were posting at...

I should have clarified this in my post, sorry. I would have to buy a SDS new as I've rarely seen them come up for sale. And I would want the newer chassis and not the toaster oven.

Jpak,

With the 6414 on the driver position and 6BL7gts the amp will be less tube and has very nice and upfront presentation. It is all about tube rolling really. The SDS is so transparent that you can change the sound by just switching the tube. The SDS can be very tubey or even very solidstate depending on the tubes.

Thanks for the thorough reply Mike. I'd definitely like to hear the SDS, as a Supra/SDS probably isn't out of my price range. Still I'm not sure if I'd like something that "tubey". I actually really liked the more "SS" sound of the Melos with tubes I had in it, just the soundstage was too small with any headphones.

Yeah that's cracked out. I analytical'd up the sound of my SDS np. I haven't heard the Melos but foo_me just got one recently and he didn't like it at all... decent tone he said but not resolving at all and totally forgiving. He actually still liked hd600s better with it than Grados. Any rate, its getting sold I believe.

Eddie Current's amps are very clean sounding as well and a great band for the buck. The extra thing you get with Singlepowers is ultimate (Vs anything else that's out there) tube flexibility. Any rate, its not like Eddie Current's amps are going to be a one sound pony anyway, so I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

I haven't heard the Melos but foo_me just got one recently and he didn't like it at all... decent tone he said but not resolving at all and totally forgiving. He actually still liked hd600s better with it than Grados. Any rate, its getting sold I believe.

You know it's funny, I had a chance to try a Melos in my rig at the last Boston Meet and I came away pretty nonplussed. I mean for $300 to $400 it's probably a fine amp but I guess I just didn't get any of the magic that some folks do and could never see spending $1000 on a completely modded one. Quite frankly, I liked my uber-Millett considerably more with Grados, car radio tubes and all.

The SHA-1 is pretty mediocre with anything other than the HP-2, I would really love to hear a better amp in the under $1000 price range that was a better amp with the HP-1000, excluding the SHA-Gold. Hence why I sold it, and the soundstage issues I mentioned. With the L3000/Amperex OGs it was better than my M^3 with STEPS (run of the mill parts all around).

It's not even that good with John Grado headphones, there definitely isn't much synergy with my HF-1 and SHA-1. And it is basically a $400-600 amp (depending on tubes, mine had 2 faceplates); nothing more. But computerpro3 said his Maestrobated SHA-Gold and RS-1 kept up with the Zana Deux and a few other high end amps. How true that is I have no idea, but I'm willing to bet meet conditions came into play and favored his amp/his preferences/experience or lack of.

But computerpro3 said his Maestrobated SHA-Gold and RS-1 kept up with the Zana Deux and a few other high end amps. How true that is I have no idea, but I'm willing to bet meet conditions came into play and favored his amp/his preferences/experience or lack of.

Uh, yeah, I'd have to agree that he probably hasn't spent any significant time comparing the Melos to anything else.