Sony PFR-V1 Personal Field Speakers

postjack

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh my I am impressed Elephas

I like YOU.

The PFR-V1's cord is very short, and terminated with a 3.5mm plug. I'm using a 6.3mm adapter and driving it with the AT-HA5000. Source is the Accuphase DP-500.

Sound? Actually not bad. Good details, immersive soundstage, crisp treble, overall on the bright side, decent bass impact.

It does remind me of the RS-1, SA5000, Airbow SR-SC1 and yes, the K1000 and even the HE60.

I don't have an amp for my K1000 yet. I've been looking for one recently and tried it with a Cary CAD 300 SEI. The K1000 sounded very, very good driven by the Cary. I don't think the PFR-V1 is better than the K1000.

The "hooks" that rest over the outside of the ear canal has a hole where sound comes through. They rest lightly and I don't feel uncomfortable.

My initial impression is that these are not bad-sounding. I would consider it a specialty headphone, not a replacement for a full-size headphone.

Sound quality is roughly about the same level as the MS2i and below the SA5000, RS-1, K701, AD2000 or HD6x0.

Hmm, maybe saying it is about the same as the MS2i might be short-changing the PFR-V1.

It does some things different from other headphones. It throws a very unique soundstage and imaging is immersive and 3D-like. Treble clarity and details are good.

I plugged the PFR-V1 directly into my 2G nano and it sounds OK. A bit thin and lacking in body, but still decent-sounding.

Ear shape might be a significant factor. I have small ears that lie flat against my head. When I pull out my ears and move them around a bit with my hands, the sound changes.