R10s = pretty good.

Icarium

I haven't put on Qualias at all this week. Been R10ing it up. Probably tomorrow or after I get back from my vacation. I'll do some more detailed shoot offs. It won't really be optimal though since while Qualias sound good with the SDS they really shine on the SS-1. The R10s really sound only so so on the SS-1 but really are amazing with the SDS.

Not to mention single ended versus balanced though I do have an adapter.. geh.

Keep in mind its not because I don't miss the Qualias.. I do.. I just want to get the R10 sound ingrained in me asap.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I get any new piece of audio equipment, I often want to play lots of different tracks / types of music to see how it sounds.

I don't get that with R10's. I just end up listening to whatever is playing, moreso with my new pair than my old (deteriorated foam rings :'( )

New pair? Old pair?

Can we refer to headphones in the singular, unless talking about two or more?

What's with all the "my 650's," "my HD650s," "my K701s" "W5000's," "W5000s?"

"My HD650," and "my W5000" sound fine to me, and non-ambiguous.

I don't get that with R10's.

Does this mean you don't get that with both R10's, or just one R10?

I think objects should be singular unless composed of two distinct, separate units, like chopsticks.

Of course, that would make pants and shorts, pant and short. As a non-native English speaker, this (object being plural even though there's only one of that object) used to drive me crazy when I was learning English the first couple of years in US.

To clarify, I should have said - "I don't get the urge to quickly flick through many different types of music when I am listening to it through either pair of my R10 headphones. This is even more pronounced when I am listening to the newer pair than the older pair".

My old pair have deteriorated foam rings - the inner one surrounding the driver is almost completely gone and is just flaky red stuff, so I don't get the same kind of sound I am getting out of the new pair I recently acquired. As a result, the old pair is more unfocused and unbalanced in the treble, which can get strident/harsh.

Listening to the new pair, which I don't think are broken in yet, the sound is better, more bassy and coherent with better imaging. I will hopefully get some replacement rings at some point soon and be able to make a better comparison, but I feel that once broken in, the difference between the two pairs that I have will be small.

Okay?

New pair? Old pair?

Can we refer to headphones in the singular, unless talking about two or more?

What's with all the "my 650's," "my HD650s," "my K701s" "W5000's," "W5000s?"

"My HD650," and "my W5000" sound fine to me, and non-ambiguous.

Does this mean you don't get that with both R10's, or just one R10?

Fing, my little rant wasn't directed at you, it was intended for everybody. >:D

I also have two pairs of R10 headphones. I've replaced the earpads on one of them, the one a later serial # and more bass. When I did so, I noticed the foam rings didn't look great, but they were still in reasonably good condition and not crumbling or deteriorated.

I expect the other, older pair with less bass to have deteriorated foam rings. I'll try to find some kind of replacement when I have them recabled.

Fing, my little rant wasn't directed at you, it was intended for everybody. >:D

I also have two pairs of R10 headphones. I've replaced the earpads on one of them, the one a later serial # and more bass. When I did so, I noticed the foam rings didn't look great, but they were still in reasonably good condition and not crumbling or deteriorated.

I expect the other, older pair with less bass to have deteriorated foam rings. I'll try to find some kind of replacement when I have them recabled.

Ah ok. No worries then :-)

If you manage to get some inner foam rings, please let me know where you got them? Cheers!