Predator question...

oicdn

Heh...I JUST found this place.

I had a uestion about the predator, and there hasn't been an answer. I'm thinking it won't be answered because my suspicions are right. That and any negativity (even if contructive) towards RSA is frowned upon over there. Apparently not so much here, so I'll ask here, lol.

Here's the post I made, and it hasn't gotten a response yet:

--------------------------------

I have a question about the gain.

You say the gain is set at 11 in high. An iPods line out is 1vRMS, which is 2.8vpp full scale(volts peak to peak, according to Vinnie on various threads). Wouldn't you need ATLEAST 32 volts to have a gain of 11 on an iPod so you don't have some serious clipping or distortion when the volume is cranked really high? ESPECIALLY on high load cans like 600 ohm DT880s?

Gain was something I was mulling over when I was looking at some DIY designs to power 250ohm Darths, and there was a design that utilized a gain of 11, but it had a powercord/dedicated PSU. When I saw gain of 11, I thought "Predator" and then thought I'de ask if this is the case with the Predator, since I can't see 34+ volts coming out of that LiOn battery. Can you shed some light? This is partly the reason I'm not in bed yet, lol.

--------------------------------

Is this the case or am I missing something?

Hah...I have no thin skin...infact, last night I just read the reasoning behind how this place came about...pretty funny, lol. I guess not everybody can let things roll off thier backs, or have an unbiased opinion without getting the "smackdown" from mods who protect certain vendors...

Meh, I was curious, it was an amp I was CONSIDERING, but after researching a bit, not so much.

Meaning that's a serious amount of money spent...I guess it's all in context....

I said the same thing about this guys rig:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246541

more specifically, the link in that thread pointing to here:

http://66.48.80.139/~idemonor/ws/newrig.html

Same saying...different context I guess...meh...

Meaning that's a serious amount of money spent...I guess it's all in context....

I said the same thing about this guys rig:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246541

more specifically, the link in that thread pointing to here:

http://66.48.80.139/~idemonor/ws/newrig.html

Same saying...different context I guess...meh...

You DEF are a noob, as many of the guys here have more moeny invested in just their sources.

You DEF are a noob, as many of the guys here have more moeny invested in just their sources.

I can head over to Audiokarma and tell you that, I'm just saying as far as having two seperate rooms and TWO high end tables, amps, phono's etc, that's pretty fucking elaborate for TWO rooms...meh...

2.828vpp is a 1vRMS sine wave. Peak amplitude may differ in actual music but suffice it to say at what is likely 3.7v supply, factoring in headroom, much above unity gain won't be particularly useful. On a smaller amplitude output, such as a PCM2704 (1.8vpp), gain can perhaps be a bit higher but unlikely even 2 when factoring in how close the amp will realistically approach its rails. Probably more than anything, the use of such high gain just raised the noise floor and distortion.

2.828vpp is a 1vRMS sine wave. Peak amplitude may differ in actual music but suffice it to say at what is likely 3.7v supply, factoring in headroom, much above unity gain won't be particularly useful. On a smaller amplitude output, such as a PCM2704 (1.8vpp), gain can perhaps be a bit higher but unlikely even 2 when factoring in how close the amp will realistically approach its rails. Probably more than anything, the use of such high gain just raised the noise floor and distortion.

Filburt and everyone else is absolutely correct. The only reason that the gain of 11 option is available is that it is a copyover from the

hornet design. That high gain is designed for sources that have an output voltage of only 100mv or so. This is clearly stupid as the

internal dac has an output of way more than that. Given the 4.0 volts (absolutely fully charged and even overcharged a bit) and a

rail to rail opamp that looses .4 volts, the absolute maximum output voltage is going to be 3.6 VAC Peak to Peak.

Filburt and everyone else is absolutely correct. The only reason that the gain of 11 option is available is that it is a copyover from the

hornet design. That high gain is designed for sources that have an output voltage of only 100mv or so. This is clearly stupid as the

internal dac has an output of way more than that. Given the 4.0 volts (absolutely fully charged and even overcharged a bit) and a

rail to rail opamp that looses .4 volts, the absolute maximum output voltage is going to be 3.6 VAC Peak to Peak.

So why the hell would you put a gain that high? Bragging rights? Nobody is going to brag about a distorted signal.

Given the lineararity of his pot, you couldn't turn it over 50% as it's approaching clipping voltages. Is he just hoping nobody uses high resistance cans at high levels or is powering small speakers(some people actually do that, lol)? Also, given the battery life he claims, with it running on high gain, wouldn't the battery life drop CONSIDERABLY when the volume is at anything past 20%? Why would you shoot yourself in the foot like that? The more and more I look at it, the more it seems like a hokey design....

So why the hell would you put a gain that high? Bragging rights? Nobody is going to brag about a distorted signal.

Given the lineararity of his pot, you couldn't turn it over 50% as it's approaching clipping voltages. Is he just hoping nobody uses high resistance cans at high levels or is powering small speakers(some people actually do that, lol)? Also, given the battery life he claims, with it running on high gain, wouldn't the battery life drop CONSIDERABLY when the volume is at anything past 20%? Why would you shoot yourself in the foot like that? The more and more I look at it, the more it seems like a hokey design....

Most people planning to buy the Predator are also K1000 owners ;D