ChiUnuion-Fi

JBLoudG20

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fang is in the process of putting up a page for them as we speak. The price is being quoted as $999.00. He had mentioned at the NYC meet as bundled prices of $1350-$1500 with either the SS or tubed amp.

http://www.head-direct.com/products.php?m=11

I have them in my possesion, so I will take some pics at different angles for all to see in this thread if anyone wants.

I believe it is using two Eddie Current Lunchboxes in order to create a dual mono or perhaps balanced setup.

Also, I believe that I was told that they are a different newer amp based upon the EC Lunchbox amps. They were being fed by a Channel Islands 2 box DAC with an option of running them at a 0 or a 180 degree phase.

Fang is in the process of putting up a page for them as we speak. The price is being quoted as $999.00. He had mentioned at the NYC meet as bundled prices of $1350-$1500 with either the SS or tubed amp.

http://www.head-direct.com/products.php?m=11

I have them in my possesion, so I will take some pics at different angles for all to see in this thread if anyone wants.

Detailed review!!!!! ;D

How else can you have a balanced meal without balanced lunchboxes? :laugh:

I will provide a detailed review (my first here) and take some pics since it is a sunny 60 degree day in NY.

The review is going to take a while. First I have to contact Mr. He of HEAUDIO in China and find out specs and materials used. Maybe a roadtrip is in order. If they can do "Survivor China", I can do "China Cans and the Men Who Love Them".

They have a huge soundstage and they are crystal clear. The bass is slightly lacking in the same the way the bass is on a HE-90 comparing to a HE-60. I tried to compare them to my Baby-O's using a Stax 007t with 2 pro bias ports, but each time I have to volume match, so I lose the memory of each comparison. The soundstage is vertical as well as "back of head to tip of nose". Some people might feel that this is not a good thing when comparing to live music (except what you hear in Carnegie Hall). I personally find the soundstage quite satiating.

To sum it up, anyone who already owns a stat amp, should have one of these in their stable due to their low cost and close proximity of being an Orpheus clone. They are extremely comfortable and have no fatigue factor, actually quite the opposite. They are light and hold nicely without clamping on my head even while lying down. The detail is there and I can't really find anything downsides about them except for 2 flaws.

Where the cables enter each cup, there is no shrink tubing or epoxy, so there is a chance that a mistaken "cord stepping" could cause the wires to be stressed. Also the 3 connecting wires to the stator/membranes are exposed inside the cups and I feel they should be covered to separate 600V biasing from a wet head or dust build up. I have discussed this with the manufacturer, so we will see if my issues are addressed when the production model surfaces.

The current model comes bundled with a SS amp for ~ $1350, which I found was bright during some extremely high crescendos, but later found out that it was a 240V version with a Rat Shack stepup transformer that was underpowered for the task. It had 2 40 watt transformers, when it is believed that it needs 2 60 watt. That, plus the amp only had a couple of hours of play before the meet. Being that it needs a 600V biasing, I'm happy using my GES or a 007t as a substitute.

Taking into consideration that it is a reverse engineered (I assume) clone, for the money they are equal to or better than the more expensive 60's and O2's and are a keeper. Of course the build quality isn't up to Sennheiser standards, but then again, I feel that the 90's swivel cups are flaky and could have been better built for $7500 and screws fall out easily on the Orpheus..

I have some stats:

Type : Electrostatic open-air type headphone

Frequency Range : 10-50000Hz

Capacitance, including cable : 140pF

Sensitivity : 100dB/100V r.m.s.

Earpad : Leather

Bias voltage : 600 V / DC

I'm still inquiring about warranty and the concern of repair issues (not needing to send them back to China).